• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Any suggestions for promoting a POD book?

vampiress31

A friend of mine is currently publishing a novel through a POD and I wonder if anyone has any suggestions for ways to promote the book and find a target audience.
thank you.

I've found you can get on a lot of search engines free. Do it (you must have a webpage, of course).
Do not fall for those that take a small fee and promise to submit you to thousands of search engines, because those simply submit them to the free engines for you. After your sales have gotten large enough to support, get on Google and Yahoo (Yahoo is buying out several of the biggest, so is a good investment.)
Also get a copy to your local newspaper for review, and to local TV if they have a talk show or arts show. Most PBS areas have that.
Get on forums, not necessarily writers' forums, but readers' forums. They can be found by typing "Mystery forums" "Fantasy forums" SciFi forums" etc. in the search box.
Most of the forums will not allow personal advertising, though some have a special thread for that. You CAN, however, mention that you are a writer, and the name of your book, and ask for comment. (A sneaky is to ask a friend to go on the forum and ask you things, which you may answer.)
Some POD publishers will list your book on B&N and so forth, some won't. You have to check that before you contract with them.
Word of mouth is always best, but you have to get the discussion started.
Best of luck!

You can add your web site to our directory for free, if your friend has a site. The genre section is a good place to add sites to. If your friend doesn't have a site, I was thinking about setting up a service where we could host author sites here, if anyone's interested.

As for promoting on forums, don't go and "spam" loads of forums - it does more harm than good. We've already had a couple of authors do that here, one of whom didn't stop when asked so we ended up banning him!

Advertising in signatures is fine, and a good way to get people to see your link. The other way is to ask in the writer's showcase forum - it's there for people to ask for feedback and show off their work.

Good luck!

Darren.

Back