• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Any suggestions?

spazzyskittles

i went to borders yesterday and i spent 40 minutes trying to find something to read. the person i would always turn to for suggestions has moved to NY (and i'm in CA) so i have run out of things to read which is very unpleasant...i like books written by women, about women, preferably fiction, along the lines of Jane Green, Sarah Dessen, and Meg Cabot. i am open to other types of books as well. very big Dan Brown fan too.

Please help!!!

spazzyskittles said:
i went to borders yesterday and i spent 40 minutes trying to find something to read. the person i would always turn to for suggestions has moved to NY (and i'm in CA) so i have run out of things to read which is very unpleasant...i like books written by women, about women, preferably fiction, along the lines of Jane Green, Sarah Dessen, and Meg Cabot. i am open to other types of books as well. very big Dan Brown fan too.

Please help!!!

This is FANTASTIC.... 'The Time Traveler's Wife' by Audrey Niffenegger

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...uthor=Niffenegger, Audrey/026-0779507-7361228

Also have you read... 'The Girl with a Pearl Earring'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...5884/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_27_1/026-0779507-7361228

JUST THOUGHT! :)
If you want a real treat...Try

'Blindness' by Jose Saramago ...
Not a Female writer But Its a MUST READ!

lovely bones is excellent too. by alice sebold, if you can get through the first chapter, it's harsh, but the whole book is gripping.

also red tent by anita diamant. super.

Looking at your examples of Jane Green and Meg Cabot, I would suggest any of the following authors:

Cathy Kelly
Fiona Walker
Freya North
Maeve Binchy
Lisa Jewell
Marian Keyes

That should get you started. All of them are by women and principally for women (you know that, because the book covers are in nice pastel shades!)

My favourite women authors (that I can remember off the top of my head) are:-

Fiona Walker - very funny
Jill Mansell - funny chick lit books
Janet Evanovich - only the Stephanie Plum series, e.g. "one for the money" etc... absolutely hilarious. Laugh out loud. Her others aren't so good.

I would highly recommend trying these authors, particularly Walker and Evanovich.

BOY!!! Have you come to the right place!!! Since joining the forum, my "To Read" list has grown exponentially! Seriously, it is as long as I am tall (I am of average height for a woman). Get a pencil and a stack of paper, and check out the threads with titles like "Currently Reading", "Just finished reading", "5 Favorite authors", stuff like that. My personal recommendations would be...
Alice Hoffman
Laurell K. Hamilton (vampire/zombie stuff, but FUNNY!)
Karin Slaughter- mystery series-female main character
Margaret Atwood
Sue Grafton- mystery series- female main character
Dana Stabenow-mystery series-female main character
Janet Evanovich- mystery series-female main character
Fannie Flagg
Sue Monk Kidd- specifically The Secret Life of Bees, have a tissue or two handy when you read this, female coming of age story

Back