• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Any teenagers around here?

Are there any people around here my age(14-16)? I'd love to meet you guys, and see what kind of books you guys read! Please, post here or PM me!

Ana

I am

I'm 15 and decidedly a fantasy reader with occasional sci-fi aspects in my reading time, which is about all the time.

now/next

Well now I'm reading Tom Clancy's "Rainbow Six" and next... well I'm leaning towards more dragonlance books.

'Ello. 15 soon to be 16. Woohoo. I love lots and lots of fantasy books--especially ones about vampires and other preternatural creatures. Sort of like The Noble Dead series, Twilight series, and the Keisha'ra series. I like things like that. :D I just can't get into things like Clancy's work and futuristic sci-fi. It just doesn't interest me.

I'm 17 (surely that's young enough to still be a teenager? :) )

I really got excited by reading when I discovered Stephen King's work. I'd finally found an author who used everyday language and told easy to follow stories.

I'm now trying to read some of the 'classics', and I have to say that I'm really enjoying them.

Reading isn't exactly a teenage thing to do, at least not in my social circle. It's great to find a place like this where I can finally talk about some of the wonderful stories I've read!

Ana, what books do you read? I presume Harry Potter judging by the screen name?!

Hey. =)

I read pretty much anything that looks interesting. For fiction, I kinda tend to focus on classics. I read a lot of non-fiction too, usually about philosophy, history, or politics.

I see you're planning to read Guns, Germs, & Steel. I've been trying to get my hands on a copy of it, but I'm broke at the moment. =(

Most people here act like teenagers, despite their age.

Anyhow, I turned 16 in January, and I'm a huge fan of Stephen King and Ted Dekker.

I also like the three works from Alex Garland, and the two novels (is there a third coming out?), from David Mitchell.

Aside from Stephen King, there aren't many "established," authors that I like--however, a lot of new writers seem to be popping up with more modern themes and easy-to-attach-to characters and dialogues.

And...that's all. New writers keep popping up, and a lot of them are great to read.

Vesperitilio-I can tell from your avatar that you love fantasy, and I love vampire and fantasy books too, but I also like futuristic stuff. I have yet to read The NOble Dead but I"ve read Twilight/New moon, which were a bit too chick lit for me. I also strongly dislike Ann Rice and Laurell K. Hamilton-it has too much sex in it and reads like bad romance with fantasy.

Spin2: I used to be obsessed with Harry Potter day and night, now it's just one of those constant obsessions in the back of my head that become over obsessive about when a new book comes out. I have lots of new 'obsessions' now, besides harry potter: Artemis fowl, the bartimaeus trilogy and star wars being a few. I tried reading Salem's Lot but just couldn't get into it, but I'll try reading Cell sometime.

You say you're reading classics now. Which ones? Have you read the three musketeers or the count of monte cristo? Alexandre Dumas is one of my absolute favorite authors. I also love jane austen's pride and prejudice.

Luckily, my social circle reads quite a lot, but I go to a private school, where everyone is different in their own way. All of my friends read and we have a lot of similar interests. We don't really talk about books that much though, but through reading we can have interesting discussions on other topics.

Aside from the aforementioned books, I love reading fantasy and history, and maybe sci-fi. French history and literature is one of my favorites, I read most french literature in French. I also love reading a manga called Death Note, and anything about pirates.

claybugg: I assume you buy most of your books then? I get mine out of the library because I'm always broke. When I do have money, I usually buy nonfiction, mostly about european history, but also about pirates and mythology and all sorts of random interests.

So which classics have you read/are you reading? Anything by Jane Austen or Alexandre Dumas? Right now I"m reading Paradise Lost for school, and just bought The Inferno, a copy with both Italian and English. I want to see how much Italian I can understand after finishing.

SevenWritez: one of my goals is to read books that are obscure, instead of books that everyone talks about, but somehow that doesn't happen. I don't have much time to read, so I try to choose books that I want to have read and somehow they turn out to be the popular ones. The few exceptions are obscure french books from 200 years ago, in French, that I try to find by searching practically the entire internet.

It seems I have similar interests with almost all of you guys, so if you're looking for someone your age to talk to about books, feel free to pm me!

Spin2: I used to be obsessed with Harry Potter day and night, now it's just one of those constant obsessions in the back of my head that become over obsessive about when a new book comes out. I have lots of new 'obsessions' now, besides harry potter: Artemis fowl, the bartimaeus trilogy and star wars being a few. I tried reading Salem's Lot but just couldn't get into it, but I'll try reading Cell sometime.
Do you also follow the HP films?

If you like fantasy novels, try Stephen King's Dark Tower Series. It's his version of Lord Of The Rings. I am currently half way through the epic seven book series and purposely going slowly because I really don't want the story to end! I would recommend it to anyone. It has features of many different genres, I think that's what makes it special.

You say you're reading classics now. Which ones? Have you read the three musketeers or the count of monte cristo? Alexandre Dumas is one of my absolute favorite authors. I also love jane austen's pride and prejudice.

Luckily, my social circle reads quite a lot, but I go to a private school, where everyone is different in their own way. All of my friends read and we have a lot of similar interests. We don't really talk about books that much though, but through reading we can have interesting discussions on other topics.

Aside from the aforementioned books, I love reading fantasy and history, and maybe sci-fi. French history and literature is one of my favorites, I read most french literature in French. I also love reading a manga called Death Note, and anything about pirates.
I've recently finished Great Expectation by Charles Dickens. I did enjoy the story but I struggled to get past the near comical caricatures! The story wasn't as powerful as I'd hoped either; I understand that it wasn't the purpose of the novel but I still want to feel some kind of emotion when reading it!

With regards to The Three Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo, I must admit that I've neither been brave enough or found the time for them. Do you think I should? Which is easier to understand?

As for PP by Jane Austin: If you'd asked me a year or so ago I would have probably laughed, but it seems like a really important (and highly regarded) work so I must say that I am tempted!

It's funny that you should mention French literature because one of the last books that I read was The Phantom Of The Opera (Gaston Leroux). I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I've got Dracula lined up for another Gothic period book!

I have a few modern classics lined-up. For example A Clockwork Orange (Anthony Burgess), Lord Of The Flies (William Golding), Brave New World (Aldus Huxley) The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger).
It seems I have similar interests with almost all of you guys, so if you're looking for someone your age to talk to about books, feel free to pm me!
Thanks I will keep that in mind. I'm here too :)

about the Harry Potter films: I stopped following them after the 3rd one. They strayed too far from the books.

I'll be sure to try reading The Dark Tower.

I would suggest the count of monte cristo first, but it's really long, so maybe you should try the three musketeers? both are amazing. after them you can get into queen margot and the black tulip.

I've read dracula and love the gothic style novel, but haven't read many except maybe jane eyre. Jane Austen's northanger abbey is a good book in this category,I've heard. be warned, though: dracula can drag on a bit and isn't always as exciting as movies imagine it to be.

I have yet to read all the classics you mentioned with the exception of catcher in the rye(which i strongly disliked). Lord of the flies is the favorite book of one of my favorite characters, so I'll try to read it soon.

If you do decide to read The Dark Tower series do not be put off by the first book, The Gunslinger. It is character building (perhaps in a mysterious way) and used to set the scene.

I think I will have a go at the Three Musketeers! My dad would be happy, he loves all of the old stories. It's a shame he hasn't kept more of his old books.

I am hearing many mixed reviews about Dracula so I guess the best thing will to read it and make up my own mind :D

do tell me when you finish the Three Musketeers! It has quite a lot of sequels, but they're not as good, although for me, it was the sequels that made me love the actual three musketeers.

I've been reading quite a lot of french literature lately, a lot of it really obscure, too..I guess my obessions lead me to read some really obscure things.

claybugg: I assume you buy most of your books then? I get mine out of the library because I'm always broke. When I do have money, I usually buy nonfiction, mostly about european history, but also about pirates and mythology and all sorts of random interests.

So which classics have you read/are you reading? Anything by Jane Austen or Alexandre Dumas? Right now I"m reading Paradise Lost for school, and just bought The Inferno, a copy with both Italian and English. I want to see how much Italian I can understand after finishing.

I use to buy them, then I ran out of money. =P I go to the library all the time now, but they have almost nothing.

I haven't gotten to Austen or Dumas yet, but I do plan to read some from both eventually, though I'll probably put Austen off for a while.

Right now I'm going through a 1960's counterculture phase, so I'm working on One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey.

^ I Wanted to Edit but Couldn't saw i wrote again =D

I am 14 Going to 15 =) I Read Chick lits : Sophie kinsella's Books .. Meg Cabbots ..
I Love Fiction .. I Read the five people you meet in heaven - by Mitch albom ..
I Read to Kill a mockingbird * Classic * It Is my Favorite book,I Read the Lovely bones,Princess
Umm .. thats all i can remmber =Pp

"Hi" to everybody :)

I am 16, I am going to turn 17 next week (that makes me feel old XDD, I can't believe just one more year I am going to be an adult!)

I used to read classical Chinese lit a lot. I am from Taiwan and currently live in America. Now I am trying to read more English novels-- fictions, classics, and some plays.

This is a awsome thread, HermioneWeasley. It's great that we have a chance to know other teenagers in this forum through your thread.

I'm 17 as of yesterday :)
I read mostly fantasy. My favorite authors are George R.R. Martin, J.R.R. Tolkien, Brandon Sanderson, Stephen King, Tamora Pierce...I could go on for awhile.
I tend to stay away from the 'teen' sections of bookstores just because the books there are so DULL. I never knew there were so many ways of writing the boy meets girl, breaks up, gets back together, breaks up, gets back together, marries theme. It just doesn't do that much for me.
Right now I'm reading Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult (brithday present). It's pretty good so far. I've read 2 other books of hers and they were both good. Next I'm planning on reading The Stand by Stephen King. It makes me nervous looking at the size of it, though.

umm i just turned 17 lol that made me feel old...well for my books...ho hum...i . just. CANNOT. stand. ROMANCE. course i dont really care if anyone else likes em but i mean UGH. i dunno. its the same with movies i cant stand chik flits. lol w/ that said umm i like the classics most of them anyways not all...*whispers: i dont like dickens! sory! cept for A Christmas Carol* i like select fantasy but its so hard to find GOOD fantasy nowadays thats not a copycat or isnt totally pathetic. historical fiction, philosophy, history...hmm....theres more but yeah...i like brian jacques even tho hes supposed to be a kids author rofl i love his books...tolkien of course...cs lewis- loved till we have faces and the screwtape letters...winston churchill's Memoirs of the Second World War...OH The King in the Window by umm...cant remember who but it was good. yeah just some of mine...:)

Hey =]
I'm 14. Woo that.
I read a lot of mystery, and I like most fiction things in general.
And, the occasional sci-fi book.

Back