• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Anybody read The Haunting of Hill House?

Hey there - I haven't read this book yet, either, but it is on my to-buy list. I've heard many great things about it and it sounds like something I'd like.

maryburns said:
I haven't picked this up yet but I heard that it was good. Anybody read it? Can you tell me if you liked it?
'The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

Excellent book-I liked it very much! Its a great ghost story. Here's the NY Times review from the back of my copy:

"I can vouch for the fact that this is no book to read yourself to sleep with in a lonely house...a super-deluxe ghost story...will make many a reader wonder after he turns off the light if he really is alone in the dark room" -Orville Prescott, NYTimes.

I would also recommend seeing the original film version which is equally scary. The remake ruins the creepiness and makes it into another hi-tech special effect horror flick. :eek: :D

lorrekarloff said:
I would also recommend seeing the original film version which is equally scary. The remake ruins the creepiness and makes it into another hi-tech special effect horror flick. :eek: :D

Don't you just hate that? Special effects can really ruin a good horror movie. It's not what you see that gets you, it's what you don't see...

cajunmama said:
Don't you just hate that? Special effects can really ruin a good horror movie. It's not what you see that gets you, it's what you don't see...
Exactly right-its what you cant see that makes your skin crawl and the hair stand up on your neck! This is why I love the old horror flicks so much. You just cant do that with the new special effects.

The Haunting and many others (Dracula is another big favorite of mine) depended on shadows, atmosphere, and crreeepy sounds and music, which produces a genuine scare for the audience because you have to use your imagination.The film gets inside your head. The new movies,(I admit I do like some of them) have all the gore and scares right in your face-no imagination required! :eek:

Don't get me wrong, I like some of the new stuff, too, but nothing creeps you out like your own imagination.

It's been a while since I read this book, but from what I recall, it is a classic tale that is well worth reading (reminds himself to seek it out of the cupboard and reread)

I'm probably going to pick this one up. Now, was the movie the "House On Haunted Hill"? Or was it that "The Haunting" movie? Thanks.

JohnnySmakface said:
I'm probably going to pick this one up. Now, was the movie the "House On Haunted Hill"? Or was it that "The Haunting" movie? Thanks.
It was "The Haunting". And the original is the one to see. The remake has all the special effects but none of the creepiness.

"House on Haunted Hill" was the one where Vincent Price offers $10,000 dollars to anyone who can spend the night in his haunted house.
Hope you enjoy the book, and welcome to the forum! :)

Back