• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Anyone enjoy books on CD???

Syracusefan

I LOVE books on CD!!! I don't re-read books twice. So it is nice to have someone re-read them to me. Also, I am one of those readers that if you don't grab me in the first chapter - forget it. A lot of times though I really want to hear the story - for example - Dan Brown's books. I can't get through reading them if my life depended on it, so I got his books on CD - EXCELLENT! Anyway - for someone like me that is addicted to Books on CD - I wanted to pass along my newest addiction...www.audible.com... Great site for those who want Books on CD or to put them on your MP3.

Happy listening!!! :D

Havent tried them because I know I wont like them.
Cant imagine myself 'listening' to somebody who is reading out a book for me!
My niece started reading 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland' and I tried listening to her because it was so long ago that I had read that book. I just couldnt enjoy it!
One might say there is a difference in a kid reading out a story and an experienced adult doing the same! But, I know I wont enjoy it!

Syracusefan said:
Also, I am one of those readers that if you don't grab me in the first chapter - forget it.
This makes me ask you - Have you read Robert Ludlum? Do you like his books?

The only time I listen to audio books is when I was on a car going to shopping centres or some place and on a bus going to school. I do it just to kill the time that is often wasted by other kids! :)

I've never tried audio books. I think I'd probably fall asleep or something. :eek: I like the act of reading a book (ie. turning the pages etc). :)

I borrowed a couple from my neighbor, but I kept losing track of the story and having to go back. I dont think I'll borrow any more, but my neighbor likes them a lot, and the library seems to be increasing their selection too, so they must be gaining in popularity. I'll stick with the printed page - at least as long as my eyes will let me! Then I guess I will be very grateful for books on CD! :)

I agree with marlasinger - the act of 'interacting' with a book is important to me! I love the smell and feel of a book.

However; I have listened to "LTs theory of Pets" read in London by Stephen King. A hoot!

Geenh said:
I agree with marlasinger - the act of 'interacting' with a book is important to me! I love the smell and feel of a book.

However; I have listened to "LTs theory of Pets" read in London by Stephen King. A hoot!
Agreed! And thanks for the tip on "LTs..." I think my neighbor has that one. I'll have to borrow it. :D

marlasinger said:
I've never tried audio books. I think I'd probably fall asleep or something. :eek: I like the act of reading a book (ie. turning the pages etc). :)

They are actually great for that. When I am really stressed and can't seem to wind down from the day - I put my stereo on "sleep" timing and fall asleep to a book on tape. You would be surprised how easy it is to find your place. Especially with CD's it is easy to just flip through and find your place.

I love them for the beach also. I find it so hard to read on the beach with all the hustle and bustle of kids playing in the water or in the sand...I always lose my focus so I just zone out to a book on CD and soak up the sun.

I just listened to London Bridges after I read it and it was amazing. There were multiple readers playing the different characters and excellent sound effects.

Hi there Audiobook fan!

I too love audiobooks. Listen to them in my car during my commute - effectively stopped my stress levels from bursting through the highpoint during traffic jams. Now the trips get shorter and shorter. :)

I also get my stuff from audible.com. There's another thread here somewhere on audiobooks, but I'm too sleepy to link to it now... :)

What are your favourite works?

ds

direstraits said:
Hi there Audiobook fan!

I too love audiobooks. Listen to them in my car during my commute - effectively stopped my stress levels from bursting through the highpoint during traffic jams. Now the trips get shorter and shorter. :)

I also get my stuff from audible.com. There's another thread here somewhere on audiobooks, but I'm too sleepy to link to it now... :)

What are your favourite works?

ds

I mainly get books that I would never read myself (like Danielle Steele for example) stuff I have already read (I love the readers for James Patterson and Patricia Cornwell) and books that I pick up, want to read, but can't get into - like Dan Brown's books. I can't get into them - but on audio they are great. I recently got Nelson Demille's newest - Night Falls. I couldn't get into the book like I usually can by him. I got the audio and it was great! If you enjoy true crime - Ann Rule's audio books are exellent also. I too, live for Audible.

Hmm, so are audiobooks usually abridged or do you get the full version? How long does it normally take for say a 400 page book? It must take quite a few hours? :eek:

Syracusefan said:
I mainly get books that I would never read myself (like Danielle Steele for example) stuff I have already read (I love the readers for James Patterson and Patricia Cornwell) and books that I pick up, want to read, but can't get into - like Dan Brown's books.
Isn't that practically everything? :D

I'm more random. Something I'm very interested in reading, but know somehow I will never get around to reading it anytime soon (not with my TBR pile, no way!). Recent purchases include The Talisman by King & Straub, Mort by Terry Pratchett, Life of Pi by Yann Martel and poems.

ds

marlasinger said:
Hmm, so are audiobooks usually abridged or do you get the full version? How long does it normally take for say a 400 page book? It must take quite a few hours? :eek:
My The Talisman is 9 hours x 3 volumes, therefore 27 hours in total.

Some you'd want unabridged, but I'd think some you'd want abridged (otherwise they'd go on and on and on....)

ds

I have never tried listening to any audio books.I really like reading.If i actually spent alot of time in a car i probably would though.I do get them for my kids especially for the Harry Potters because some of the words are hard for them.

marlasinger said:

I've noticed that many novels are released in both Abridged & unabridged formats. My wife only wants it if it's unabridged. I've seen some 12-16 CD length books hangin' around the stereo.

Only by way ... in car ... and only re-read. Something that already read, for example two days ago in traffic listened completely "Roadside picnic" by Strugackie.

Several time, tried to listen anything that hadn't, but only wasted time.

I always thought I wouldn't enjoy books on CD but to my surprise I like them quite a lot. Due to some mistake I ordered 'Les Miserables' by Victor Hugo as a book on CD from the library. Now, having these 10CDs (abriged! unabriged would be 1 DVD/44CDs) lying around, I thought that I could at least give it a try.
I feared that I might get easily distracted but that wasn't a problem. Now I'm listening to it when walking home or tidying.
That will definitely not be my last audio book. But I guess I'll choose some books I'd usually not read.

Rigana said:
But I guess I'll choose some books I'd usually not read.
I think that's a smart choice. You get to enjoy something you'd otherwise not pick up and read, and at the same time expand your range.

ds

Back