• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Anyone got a spare 2 hrs, 37 mins and 35 secs?

Kookamoor

Given that the original Four Word Story has now ended (thank you Stewart for your initiative... I think the flatulent mongoose wandered off half way through the tale), does any one want to try and summarise that tripe... I mean, quality literature? It shouldn't take too long and you can bung it at the bottom of the original Four Word Story thread.

If you're not convinced that it's feasible:

There's 1891 posts. Assuming it takes 5 seconds to copy each post and paste it in a separate document that's 9455 seconds, ~158 minutes, ~2.626 hours, or 2 hours 37 minutes 35 seconds.

Assuming that all posts contain 4 words (which they don't), that's 7564 words. Now, the average word in the english language contains 5 characters, so that's 37 820 characters. Let's assume that there's a space after every word (45384 characters). Good writers average 15 to 20 words per sentence, thus let's assume we're good (optomist) and assume that there's a period every 15 words. This higher number should accommodate other punctuation as well, which is largely lacking anyway, from memory (7564/15 = ~504). Thus 45 888 characters in total. Given that each TBF post may be a maximum of 10 000 characters, that means the summary should fit over 5 posts.

And in the time it's taken me to work all this out, I'm sure I could be about 23.56% done by now :D . But that's enough procrastination from me!

I throw the challenge gauntlet to someone else!

Kookamoor said:
Given that the original Four Word Story has now ended (thank you Stewart for your initiative... I think the flatulent mongoose wandered off half way through the tale), does any one want to try and summarise that tripe... I mean, quality literature? It shouldn't take too long and you can bung it at the bottom of the original Four Word Story thread.

If you're not convinced that it's feasible:

There's 1891 posts. Assuming it takes 5 seconds to copy each post and paste it in a separate document that's 9455 seconds, ~158 minutes, ~2.626 hours, or 2 hours 37 minutes 35 seconds.

Assuming that all posts contain 4 words (which they don't), that's 7564 words. Now, the average word in the english language contains 5 characters, so that's 37 820 characters. Let's assume that there's a space after every word (45384 characters). Good writers average 15 to 20 words per sentence, thus let's assume we're good (optomist) and assume that there's a period every 15 words. This higher number should accommodate other punctuation as well, which is largely lacking anyway, from memory (7564/15 = ~504). Thus 45 888 characters in total. Given that each TBF post may be a maximum of 10 000 characters, that means the summary should fit over 5 posts.

And in the time it's taken me to work all this out, I'm sure I could be about 23.56% done by now :D . But that's enough procrastination from me!

I throw the challenge gauntlet to someone else!

Er....i have to do my hair tonight....:D

Here's a summary.

The story was pointless.

And now it's over.

Don't waste your time.

Reading such horrible drivel.

(I'm a poor sport...)

sirmyk said:
(I'm a poor sport...)
Of course it was pointless! So's summarising the darn thing! I just thought it'd be nice to put it to bed. Plus, we could have a poll to see whether Forum members think it's better written than The DaVinci Code. We could have a best seller on our hands!! :D

Hey shorttimer, when are you leaving for the homeland. Let us know so that we will not think you left the forum or something if we do not see any posts from you for a few days.....weeks? :)

MonkeyCatcher said:
I'll do it for ya Kook. I have no life :D
Is it still raining on your parade. :)

What is the temp. there now MonkeyCatcher. Not fair that Kookamoor will be leaving frigid temps to warm weather while we freeze our butt off.

muggle said:
Is it still raining on your parade. :)

What is the temp. there now MonkeyCatcher. Not fair that Kookamoor will be leaving frigid temps to warm weather while we freeze our butt off.
Not too bad, you'll be glad know :D . Yesterday it hit about 28 degrees (82 degrees for yall backwards folk). It's a bit overcast today, but still 20 degrees (68 F)

muggle said:
Hey shorttimer, when are you leaving for the homeland. Let us know so that we will not think you left the forum or something if we do not see any posts from you for a few days.....weeks? :)
I'm not leaving 'til late January. After that I can't tell you when I'll be posting because I have two and a half weeks to find a place to live in a new city, sort out moving stuff and do all sorts of random, "shit, I haven't been here for two years... I need insurance?" sorts of things. Oh, and catch up with family and friends in my home town and city before I move away again :(. Only an hours plane flight away, though, which is *such* an improvement!!

Back