• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Anything to Get Kids to Read or ... ?

Getting Kids to Read?

• Anything and every thing that sparks an interest regardless of content?

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Stimulate interest through good literature?

• Somewhere inbetween, some censorship is required?

• Total voters

Meadow337

Former Moderator
I was reading about the phenomenon of banning (or attempting to ban) kids books and came across this comment:

When I worked in a children's library, I used to wish I could somehow protect the kids from this stupid, demeaning excuse for "literature." The rational I used to hear was, "anything to just get them reading and keep them reading", but I strongly believe that if children don't have exposure to GOOD WRITING, on SUBSTANTIVE ISSUES, they will move away from any interest in reading. Yes, children need to laugh and have fun and to enjoy good entertainment (so do we adults), but children also need to be taken seriously, and addressed seriously, as seeking, longing human beings trying to make sense of their world and find their place in it.
And I thought it contained within it the basis for a good discussion following on from the rather plaintive 'Why Doesn't My Generation Enjoy Reading?'

So what is your approach? Anything and everything so long as they read? Or do you prefer a more moderate path where not all books are deemed appropriate?

Do you think kids who read "anything and everything' eventually develop into discerning readers?

As one hopeful parent put it:

There is no need (indeed, it would do more harm than good) to try to protect kids from inane books. They will figure it out eventually, just as they figure out that Justin Bieber is not actually a good musician.

1, 2, 3, DISCUSS!

Do you think kids who read "anything and everything' eventually develop into discerning readers?

I would advocate exposure to good literature at the earliest age possible. I think our reading tastes are formed at a pretty early age.
The format of the book is also very important. A child starting with comic books may not switch over to chapter books very easily.

As one hopeful parent put it:

There is no need (indeed, it would do more harm than good) to try to protect kids from inane books. They will figure it out eventually, just as they figure out that Justin Bieber is not actually a good musician.

1, 2, 3, DISCUSS!

I don't know how it would do more harm than good to protect children from inane books. A child starting on inane books might lose interest in reading.
About figuring out eventually, that holds for all spheres of life. If you don't provide a child guidance, he may take a few knocks and figure out eventually. Or may not.

I'm middle of the road. As a parent I certainly 'censored' the books my child read. Not so much for content as age / developmental appropriateness. And I certainly encouraged the classics / 'good' literature over pulpy rubbish. I do think that a love of reading is instilled at an early age by reading to your child from the get go before they even understand what you are reading to them.

Kids should be able to read any age appropriate book they want. Not everything we read, watch, or listen to has to be of substantial value or educational. If we take the enjoyment out of reading and make kids read books that only teach we are doing them a great disservice.

They need to read all kinds of books, find what genre appeals to them most, which in turn can develop a deeper passion for something. Will a fantasy book inspire them to learn history and mythology? Will an adventure book make them want to learn about different cultures and travel?

Adults need to stop micromanaging every aspect of kids' lives. Let them think, learn and discover for themselves.

I agree not everything has to be 'substantive' but there is still well written fun and not so well written 'fun'. It can still be good in terms of being funny, creative, ingenious, clever, with well crafted words rather than just stupid.

Dr Seuss is total nonsense but its well crafted nonsense with clever rhymes and words that are well chosen for the appropriate reading level. It teaches subtly.

Teaching does not have to be overt either. How many people realise how much maths and logic there is in Alice in Wonderland? And yet the basic principles of logical thought are expressed in that book. Or chess in "Through The Looking Glass"?

Whether its the stimulating of imagination, learning of new words, how to have courage, or learning to eat your crusts, books have a valuable role to play and should be chosen carefully to appeal.

I learned to read well when I was struggling to understand my parent's books, "Black Boy" by Richard Wright comes to mind. Of course that particular book is more suited for middle-schoolers. But I think the secret of having your kids be readers is having books of every type available...if they show a particular interest in something, say whales...get some books that will push their reading ability on the subject. My youngest is special needs but is willing to read happily about One Direction. Not high lit but she IS reading. That's the important thing.

My problem with a lot of kids books is that they somewhat "dumb down" things too much. I think that books with pictures for 9 - 12 year olds is just ridiculous. At that age they are more than capable of reading books with words without pictures.

Even when the books should have pictures they don't have to be 'dumb'.

A good example is this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Lovely-Bunch-Coconuts-Dennis-Reader/dp/0824983866

It tells the story of a man on an island with a coconut tree and a greedy king who wants his coconuts. It is simplified but not 'simple' (in the old sense of the word) and has several moral / life lessons in it on the value of going your own way in life, sticking to what you believe, loyalty and the price of greed and so on all presented very humorously.

Many of the classics 'grow' with children. To me a good children's book should be one that has sufficient depth to it that it can be enjoyed by younger readers (even if read to them) on a simple level - what child doesn't enjoy the fun of Alice In Wonderland for example? - but can be read over and over at different ages with new treasures that reveal themselves with increased knowledge as the child matures, even all the way into adulthood.

I believe kids can and should be challenged in their reading but not over challenged to the point they give up. And that is the challenge to get right.

Protectionism has killed lots of would be readers. What relatives think to be good literature, could easily be thrash for the kids. I have seen many grandparents giving "Golden Pieces" of the History of Literature to children that simply didn't like the style. No wonder they hate books now. Everything they have been exposed to has been thrash for them.

I personally don't really care what books my children could run into. Horses think books are interesting toys, hahaha. That said, I would not worry too much with the books my kids read unless they promoted very bad values. I would surely try to give them books I think are great, but not try to enforce them in their brains with a hammer.

EDIT: Hell, I missed the vote and placed it in the wrong option.

I think if you want your child to read, you need to start early. When they are babies, sing to them, talk to them, read to them. Before my oldest was able to sit up on her own, I would prop her up on my lap and read to her. It was a book of three popular stories told in a poem (rhyming) format. Goldilocks, 3 little pigs and I forget the last one. As she got older, she would only allow me to read the first story. She was the only reader in her pre-k class. Read chapter books by the time she was in KG. I think girls are more likely to read than boys, but maybe it's because we don't encourage boys to read as much as we do girls.

Protectionism has killed lots of would be readers. What relatives think to be good literature, could easily be thrash for the kids. I have seen many grandparents giving "Golden Pieces" of the History of Literature to children that simply didn't like the style. No wonder they hate books now. Everything they have been exposed to has been thrash for them.

I personally don't really care what books my children could run into. Horses think books are interesting toys, hahaha. That said, I would not worry too much with the books my kids read unless they promoted very bad values. I would surely try to give them books I think are great, but not try to enforce them in their brains with a hammer.

EDIT: Hell, I missed the vote and placed it in the wrong option.

I find it terribly sad that this is such a prevailing view. Good parenting is hard work and take effort. It isn't just shoving 'classics' at your child and forcing them to read them. It takes effort to find books that interest your child right from the first picture book you read at bedtime. Some they like and some they don't like because they are independent people with their own likes and dislikes from the get go. It is equally wrong to go the opposite route and heave a sigh of relief that they read anything at all and let them read whatever because that isn't serving the best interests of the child either.

You have to work hard at finding books that are good but excite the child. It requires you to know what they like and don't like and actively engage with them in choosing books. Read the books yourself as well so you know what is getting their attention. Make going to the library a family outing, not a place you dump the kids for an hour with no idea what books, if any, they came home with.

This is interesting discussion. While it isn't that I don't care what my son reads, I'm more concerned that he reads at all (for pleasure, I mean, not reading as a skill). He's 6, and he's juggling reading in 3 languages, so for me it's making sure he's not headed for a burnout (and it's not all because I'm cruel: one language's his heritage, another's compulsory, and one more is what will enable him to talk to interesting people not from this land). Sometimes I'm afraid my library of books is simply numbing him, of losing the sense of wonder and how books are really a part of the furniture of sorts.

For English, my tactic was to get him interested in something that's fun for him, and then get the books where he can get more of the same when he's tucked in bed. He actually tries to read the Lego series, Smurf comics and Star Wars books on his own (it's interesting to note as a parent how the Star Wars prequels are actually *not* that child-friendly, and I'm not talking about bad acting).

I agree with regdog's letting the kids read all kinds of books to find out what they like, and that'll lead them to learn more about what interests them. Although mine needs a little more work, since he tends to stick to what he knows he already likes - less tendency to try new things unless it's stuck right in front of his nose.

Yes but that would be part of those active parenting skills I was talking about. At 6 what does he really know about choosing books? This is where you have to step in and help. And offering new books that are of a type that should interest him but aren't a select few he is familiar with is part of your job.

Besides which children are creatures of security and routine, teaching them how to step out of their comfort zone safely in all areas is also part of the job. :)

You should check your state's education department. There may be links to a summer reading list for your child. (They can read it anytime, not just during the summer.) These books have won medals, so you know it's "safe" for kids to read. I know that FL has a list on their website, so I'm sure most states do as well. It's a great place to start, if you have no idea of what books to get your child. Another idea is to check out the Scholastic flyers they send home. Does your child show an interest in any of those books or a particular theme? Ex. mysteries or science or fairies? Another idea is to ask your child's reading teacher for recommendations. National Geographic has some neat magazines for kids. My oldest gets a magazine every couple of months and she loves it! (Ranger Rick is the name of the magazine.)

I can't think of anything more dreadful than reading school books for 'pleasure'. Of course one may enjoy a school but it is not the same when you have to read something as opposed to reading for the sheer joy of it

Back