• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

AP English project on Schizophrenia

KdashRoe

Hi there,

So for my topic for AP English is Schizophrenia. We were allowed to choose any topic, and that's what I settled on.

The final result of this project is going to be a webpage. One of the requirements are that we read at least 6 books relating to our topic.

So if you have any suggestions for books that even lightly touch on the subject, they would be helpful.

Thanks a bunch!

KdashRoe.

"The Eden Express" is a book by Mark Vonnegut, Kurt's son. It's an interesting true story that involves schizophrenia and hippiness.

For fiction you could try Sylvia Nasar's A Beautiful Mind. I haven't read it, so I don't know how accurate a portrayal it is of the disorder.

I don't know if this one is full-on schizophrenia, but there's a short story called "The Yellow Wallpaper," by Charlotte Perkins Gilman that is really good.

^^^I read "The Yellow Wallpaper" in English atthe beginning of this year. We had a whole discussion about whether or not the lady was just schizophrenic, if it was symbolism to the time period about how women were essentially "trapped" into a social standing and marriage or if it was about how she was just trying to escape herself.

But I guess that's just a little off topic, so I won't go any further.

Try something by Edgar Allen Poe. . ."The Tell-Tale Heart" might work. . .

The Centre Cannot Hold

The Centre Cannot Hold by Elyn Saks is a personal memoir telling of an American girl's struggle with schizophrenia from teenage years through to a successful professorship (in Psychiatry, what else).
A very readable book.
Bart.

I recommend The Divided Self and all other works by RD Laing. His theories revolutionized the conception of schizophrenia and his community for the treatment of schizophrenics makes a powerful case for a Patch Adams type of approach to treatment in a non-medical environment.

Back