• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Are you following the war in Iraq?

Dawn

kickbox
I've noticed that no one has broached this contraversial subject. Are you following the war? If so, how? Internet sites, TV, newpaper? All of the above? Who do you think has the most balanced coverage?

I've been flipping between CNN and Fox News here in the the states. I've also been visting blogsofwar.com and aljaheera's site to get a different perspective. My son's wife is in the Airforce, but has not been deployed. I've been particularly touched by the rescue of the young POW. It really brings the war home, on a more personal level.

this war is morally wrong.
it's an illegal act of aggression on a sovereign state.
i feel very ashamed of tony blair for licking america's a**e.:mad:

A very contraversial subject indeed :(

I've been following the war on the BBC and Channel 4 evening news when I get home from work, and dropping in to read the BBC news website from time-to-time to catch up on the stories as they unfold. They do give the British view and focus on the British Army's role in the war. I haven't been to any of the American news sites to see their viewpoint. Dawn, what do you think of the Al Jazeera viewpoint? It certainly gives a different perspective.

Booker, I can appreciate your view, but let's try to keep the hardline politics out of the discussion. Dawn asked a question about media coverage so let's talk about that. One of the reasons we keep politics and religion out of the general chat forum, is that it's the easiest way to offend people, especially as we are all from a global village of diverse cultures, religions and beliefs.

Darren.

We've had it on CNN most of the time. Morning or late Evening as we don't want the kids overly exposed to it.

In a side note, for which I might get rebuked, I don't think that war can be illegal as any sovereign state has the right to wage war at any time.

Al Jazeera, at least on the English-language web site, seems to be trying to present a balanced front. I haven't visited the site in a couple of days, but from what I've seen, it's not as pro-Iraq as I thought it would be. They ddon't use terms that outwardly offend either side. They do focus on humanitarian issues. I watched an interview with an Al Jazeera spokesperson that said that their correspondents were ousted from Bagdad because they questioned the Information Minister's statement that Coalition forces were not at the Airport or anywhere near Bagdad. Of course they had information to the contrary. They've since been allowed back.

I'm not following it 24 hours a day, but I do listen to local radio new and watch local TV news and some CNN, and I sometimes read up on the internet, but I'm not the biggest media fan; there's to much propaganda in it for me... you never know what to believe.

Ok, so I change my mind about Aljazeera's website coverage. In the last couple of days they've been definitely onesided.

I work for a newspaper.

I watch the news 8 hours a day, and then listen to the news on the radio when my wife and I are home at night, (she likes to be updated)

As far as my opinion....

I had reservations at first, but the U.S. and Britain took it nice and slow and I think the results will show it was a prudent move.

I think most of the anti-war sentiment is really anti-Bush sentiment. Care to discuss, anyone?

If you think it'sin the forum's best interest not to discuss this, Darren, I will cease and desist, but I think the gang here at The Book Forum are a friendly mature lot and can have a civil discussion. Besides, I'd like to know what some of you think about all this.

booker is obviously not afraid to speak from the heart:D

Why do people hate George Bush so much? I think he's kind of charming.

Back