• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Art Spiegelman: In the Shadow of No Towers

novella

Just finished In the Shadow of No Towers, the new Art Spiegelman book. (He wrote Maus.)

It's a tough book to 'get' for many reasons. First, the format is a very large cardboard-paged trimsize, as awkward to read as the funny papers in a way (surely that's the intention?).

Then, the strips are very disjointed, jumping around a lot, with text behind and around, like a wired Wired. Some speak directly to Spiegelman's experience, and others are about or feature really old classic comic strips and characters.

It's a quick read, if you just treat it as a superficial entertainment, but I will read it again, as I suspect most people who bother with it will. Probably a lot of times.

The central theme is angst and grief. It's blessedly free of lecturing and bombastic hero-mongering. For me, the message mostly seems to be about holding on to the things you know to be true. It cuts straight into media manipulations and some odd human behaviors that are both ubiquitous and disturbing. For instance, it looks sideways at the compulsion to turn raw tragedy into a heroic epic narrative that is completely alien to the original experience, as well as the distortion of reality for political and material gain at every level.

I think Spiegelman wants above all to be honest in this.

I'm interested to hear what other people think.

novella

Bought it today and will probably read it some time soon.

I say that an awful lot, and then I don't do it.

I hope this time's different.

I read it today. It wasn't what I'd expected, but I think I should've expected it to be what it is anyway.

I don't know. I was in New York myself when the towers came down, but I was, after all, a foreigner. I didn't experience what happened in the same way the Americans did... So in that respect, reading this comic was an eye opener.

I'll have to read it again though.

Back