• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Arthur Miller: Death Of A Salesman

SFG75

This is one of the few plays that I have really enjoyed. If there ever was a story about the unachievable American dream and disappointment, this would be it. I loved Willy's character and the dialogue was just a riot at times. The light cursing added to the humor, but the failure of Willy to be a successful "somebody" in sales and being subsequently shown the door at the age of 60 was very disheartening. You felt terrible for him as he continues the fiction that a new day would dawn, only to discover that the gold pot at the end of the rainbow wasn't to be. The wife's role of supporter and liar in chief to the husband was also interesting to read through. Biff and Happy also made for interesting characters, especially towards the end with Biff trying to find a good connection with his father and his expectations which end up knifing Biff every time.:( This is also a great story about family dynamics and the relationship between father and son is an interesting one to read about in this one. Lost chances and lost opportunities to connect meaningfully came out like a sledgehammer at you in a few scenes that you could vividly picture.

This book won't disappoint, I highly recommend it for folks looking for a good read.

Wow, a day after I get done reading this and NPR features a fasinating article on Willy Loman on their fictional characters series. One of the more interesting stories is that when the play was first put on for the public, there was silence upon the closing curtain, and then tears. Brian Dennehy who has played Willy in a ton of plays, also commented on that phenomenon. Men and regret, men and their relationships with their sons, things that go unmentioned, that remain bottled up. Here's an awesome video clip featuring Miller and Dennehy.

Willy largely is a product of consumer society

:star5:I read the book (play script) followed by the movie "death of a salesman", starring Dustin Hoffman as Willy Loman , for I couldn't find an opportunity of watching the play.

It is a fascinating piece of creative art. The script is written in such a manner that it captures everything that the reader has to, in order to appreciate the play. For example, the part on how Willy meets Bernard at Charley's office. The fact that Bernard doesn't reveal the he is going to appear at the Supreme Court(Charlie says it later to Willy), the tennis racket which implies the company he moves with, while being the father of two sons is in total contrast to how his star footballer son, Biff has been a failure. Back then as a school boy, when Biff is queried by his father whether Bernard is like he replies "he is liked- but not well liked" which implies what Willy Loman thinks is most important to be succesful in life, as well as how Biff has grown to attach the same principle as Willy's son.

As a whole it is a critique of the American Consumerist society, it also has some home truths about how important it is to instill the proper values in one's children as a father. Willy Loman looks aside when Biff commits petty thefts, & ridicules Bernard for troubling Biff about "Math". Willy doesn't have an issue even if Beranard shows the answers to Biff. For all his faults, Willy loves Biff more than his life, as his suicide implies that $20000 insurance money will give Biff another chance at life. Yet, Willy is the product of the consumer society, & hence as a whole his values were build & nurtured on theose terms. He believes half the lies that he tells his buyers as time goes on, and his employer drops him "like a sack of potatoes" after 34 years !!! For me it is one play that is in the essential list.

...the dialogue was just a riot at times.

This is interesting to me. When I read the play or see it, I don't laugh at all. I've always thought every line was forboding and tragic. Can you give me some examples of the dialogue you're talking about?

Edit: I just noticed that this is an old thread. If you still have that view, and if you still have examples of the dialogue handy, I'd be interested in your reply.

This is interesting to me. When I read the play or see it, I don't laugh at all. I've always thought every line was forboding and tragic. Can you give me some examples of the dialogue you're talking about?

Edit: I just noticed that this is an old thread. If you still have that view, and if you still have examples of the dialogue handy, I'd be interested in your reply.

The opening bit where Willy rages about everything and contradicts himself is what I was primarily talking about. First the car runs great, then it is terrible.:lol: The laundry machine "eats belts like a goddamn maniac":lol: I also had to chuckle when reading Bernard around Willy and the boys. "Don't be such an anemic Bernard!" :lol: The cruel teasing and imagining a Steve Erkel like voice coming from Bernard made for an amusing scene for me, at least one that I could imagine.

Thanks.

Since posting that question, I've seen a TV production with Dustin Hoffman that I think brought out some of the amusement you're talking about, especially with Charley and Bernard.

Another humor spot that now remember-Willy trying to land a store job with Howard and having to put up with the recording device and the kid listing all of the capitols on it, all the while, being flustered that he can't just get down to business and Howard is more intrigued with the new device.:lol:

The saddest part to me is how Willy had to flee from the reality that he was responsible for how his kids did a face plant in life. Biff is a thief who thinks only of himself and Happy is an idle womanizer who is inconsiderate of others. In short, they are both a blend of their own father! Biff's decision to drop out of high school after catching Willy in a hotel with another woman, provided a great example of a form of the concept of the death instinct, at least psychologically.

Back