• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Arthur Miller

Morty

Ever since I began reading Miller I've realized how underrated he is. Although most known for his plays Death of a Salesmen and The Crucible, he's written beautiful stories that explore the depths of human beings, however degraded their existence may seem (as in the case of "Fitter's Night"). In the short story "I don't need you anymore" he portrays the loneliness of a 5 year old boy as he wishes to be like his father and brother, realizing suddenly that he no longer needs his mother. Deeply though-provoking existentialist theme.

Miller's an undeniable humanist in his prose, always leaving a light of hope for mankind.

I have never heard that he should be underrated??
I find him to be a great writer and a man with with huge depth and as you mention a humanist. When you read his own book about his life, you will discover just what an amazing life he have had.

Flower

The Death of a Salesman is a true classic, the societal commentary of the work is truly profound and presented in a clear, though indirect way.

Just finished The Price, a work similar to Salesman in regards to family conflict and roles in society, though more of a focus on family dynamics. Not to be missed, though it is one of his less noticed works.

Back