• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Arturo Pérez-Reverte: The Club Dumas

White_Rabbit

I was wondering what views anyone had on The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte. I personally love this book. I was very sad when i saw the movie translation called The Ninth Gate with Johnny Deep. It totally changed the story. If you have seen the movie, please read the book, it is very different and much better.

I read the book after I had seen the movie and I very much prefer the changes that are in the movie. I found the "twist" in the book to be a bit dissapointing.

Mmm... I just loved this book, although I agree with Wolhay in that the book's 'twist' was a little disappointing - I didn't like the 'twist' in the Flanders Panel very much either. I haven't seen the movie, though. As much as I'm curious and I want to see Johnny Depp in anything, I might pass. I want to read some more Dumas before I read this book again.

I think you should see the movie, true it is a lot different from the book, as a matter of fact Dumas isn't in the movie really, it is still a good story. If you like Johnny Depp you would probably like it :)

I just watched this movie last night. I was tired a bit and fell asleep three times. Not good for a movie I was looking forward to seeing (having finished the book a few weeks back). Book was good, movie was a turkey.

Don't let Johnny Depp or the kiddy fiddler keep you away from the movie. I'm not very fond of Depp's usual exaggerated acting but he's very much human in this movie.

Reverte's Club Dumas--SPOILER WARNING

Not sure what the etiquette is, but can I leave out the spoiler tags if I put 'spoiler' in the thread title?

I just finished this fantastic book, and would like to discuss it...I guess I won't take any chances with the spoiler tag,because I'm basically giving away the whole ending here. I hope I get the tag right...

Anyway, here's what I wanted to ask about. I gather that the girl was the devil, or at least a demon...and she was making sure that Corso pieced together all the parts of the Nine Doors for Borja in order to do the whole summoning thing, right? But then it turned out that it wasn't done correctly anyway, since one of the pictures wasn't the original picture. What was the purpose of the girl's making sure everything went smoothly then? Was it all just a ruse to get Borja's soul or what? Maybe I'm missing something big here, maybe it has something to do with the devil 'falling in love' with Corso. I haven't found a lot of plot discussion on the book in this forum, so maybe someone can help me out.

Oops...thanks for moving the post for me! I wasn't sure if this thread was becoming a 'book vs. movie' thread or something. I guess this book is already a dead issue for most people, but I really enjoyed it.

Hope this thread isn't completely dead. I've just ordered this book from Amazon and am really looking forward to reading it this weekend. I saw the movie a long time ago and did enjoy it though I suspect the book wiil be better. Is anyone else out there reading this right now, or considering it?:rolleyes:

Back