• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Asian literature By Asian Authors

Does anyone have any experience of novels written by Indian authors? Coming from India, I have an interest in how their style of writing differs from the West.

Has anyone heard of Kushwant Singh? He has only come into my mind recently after he was in the news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-26661491

His book "Train to Pakistan" sounds rather interesting.

The only Asian books I have read are 1Q84 by Haruki Mukarami, which I am half way through, and Khaled Hosseini's books. I noticed that Haruki's style of writing was similar to a lot of western novels I'd read, but then I found out that he was inspired by western literature so that explains a lot.

Khaled Hosseini's books also opened my mind to the culture in the Middle East, although I do understand that it is a work of fiction. A Thousand Splendid Suns really touched me, and after finishing it I did a lot of research about how women are treated in Kabul. You know you've read a good book when it sticks with you for a long time afterwards and affects your beliefs about the world.

I'm hoping that by branching out to Indian authors, I'll learn more about different cultures and beliefs, and what makes us different yet also similar. :)

Back