• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Assisted suicide ...

StillILearn

I know we already talked about this when Terry Schiavo was in the news, but here (it appears) we go again:

Under what circumstances should my doctor be legally allowed to help me die painlessly?

I believe if you have no quality of life and your really ill and there is no way of getting better then you should be allowed to die with the help of your Dr.

I'd hope if I were terminally ill, no hope of recovery, and months of pain and suffering that won't be completely alleviated by painkillers, that someone would help me die. We treat our terminally ill pets better than we treat humans in this country, at least they can be put down painlessly and with dignity.

Motokid said:
Please tell us you're asking hypothetically. Please?

(Hypothetically speaking, thank heavens, always assuming that one isn't feeling actually suicidal about misspellings that cannot be corrected.)

I was referring to today's newspaper headlines:

Narrow Ruling in Oregon Suicide Case

Miss Shelf and ruby (beween them) have beautifully expressed my own feelings on the subject.

Thank you for asking, though!

Personally, I can't consider dying until I've read all the books in TBR mountain.

Miss Shelf said:
I'd hope if I were terminally ill, no hope of recovery, and months of pain and suffering that won't be completely alleviated by painkillers, that someone would help me die. We treat our terminally ill pets better than we treat humans in this country, at least they can be put down painlessly and with dignity.

Exactly, Miss S. Can you imagine standing about for days (or months) dosing your beloved animal with aspirin and wringing your hands while they writhed in pain?

I am emphatically not talking about those humans who consider suicide to be a sin or who simply wish to cling to life until the last possible moment.

I do think and believe that doctor assisted suicide should be a legal option for some. And that we shouldn't have to travel to Oregon in order to die gracefully. It could cause them all kinds of problems up there.

I don't like assisted suicide. I am not sure I could go through with it. And I know I would have a problem helping someone. But I do believe that the government should allow people the right to help. Who does it hurt? No one (if you subtract out the part that someone dies, but that doesn't really count because they actually want to die). It is the same with abortion. Again, I don't agree with it, but it is the right of any citizen to do what they want with their body. Just because there are Christians in government positions, doesn't mean they should push their religious morals on everyone. After all, not everyone in the US is a Christian, (can you say freedom of religion?) and and some don't even believe in God / higher power. And for the record, I am a Christian.

I am really tired of government not being "by the people, for the people" anymore. They are there to represent what is best for everyone.

scooter13 said:
I don't like assisted suicide. I am not sure I could go through with it. And I know I would have a problem helping someone. But I do believe that the government should allow people the right to help. Who does it hurt? No one (if you subtract out the part that someone dies, but that doesn't really count because they actually want to die). It is the same with abortion. Again, I don't agree with it, but it is the right of any citizen to do what they want with their body. Just because there are Christians in government positions, doesn't mean they should push their religious morals on everyone. After all, not everyone in the US is a Christian, (can you say freedom of religion?) and and some don't even believe in God / higher power. And for the record, I am a Christian.

I am really tired of government not being "by the people, for the people" anymore. They are there to represent what is best for everyone.

scooter, you give me hope.

I really don't like the idea of physician assisted suicide at all. I don't think there's such a thing as dignified suicide. But it's not my place to speak for someone else, because I'm not in the same position as them. If it is legalized, there should be very strict boundaries on it, including written and spoken verification of the patient's wish for death, and only if there is absolutely zero chance of recovery. Family members should not be allowed to order the death of a relative if s/he has not explicitly asked for it (with documented proof), especially when others in the family are still willing to fund treatment. If someone wants to kill themselves, then fine by me. It's not my problem. But it becomes my problem when the government allows others to say that their loved ones 'want,' to die for purely selfish reasons (like if that person wants to recieve an inheritance or life insurance benefits, or whatever), becuase that's illegal and wrong.

As someone who plans on being a doctor when I grow up, I would NEVER assist someone in suicide because it goes against all the morals and religious beliefs I grew up with. But as long as there are people willing to die and people willing to help them do it, I don't really care. It's their business, not mine. The same goes for abortion. I'm opposed to it, but I don't think it's the government's responsibility to tell people what they can and cannot do in their personal lives.

I think one of the reasons abortion and physician assisted suicide are such hot topics is because stuff like this--social/personal freedoms--brings out other issues like public nudity, legalizing illicit drugs, the right to burn down your own property, etc. All of these things, while personal choices, have negative effects on society as a whole (ex. I don't really want to see naked people while on my way to school, thank-you-very-much. I would be appalled :eek: . I still don't think that the government should have the right to control these things entirely, but should be able to restrict them, and allow them only under special circumstances.

Now does the government really think that the Founders meant for America to turn into a totalitarian dictatorship with control over every aspect of our lives? I don't think it will get that far, but by revoking rights one by one (like drugs, abortion, etc.), the people are losing power with each one lost.

I don't think we're talking here about arbitrarily assisting suicide in people who are unconscious and unable to make decisions for themselves. I'm talking about ME and what I want, which is why people should make living wills. I don't want to be in the position of being terminal and in and out of consciousness, and when conscious, in pain and seeing the distress on the faces of loved ones who know it's impossible to help me feel better. I would hope the legislation would cover only those people who have stated in writing they don't want to linger, and are able to confirm their wishes via verbal or nonverbal means. True, some religions frown on this, according to millennia-old teachings, but back when many religious laws were made, it was unusual for people to live much past 60, and terminally ill younger people usually didn't linger long because medical science was limited to herbal remedies. Nowadays, people living past 60 face the prospect of their organs failing from sheer age, along with other age-related disorders that people a thousand years ago never dreamed of, and medical science is dedicated to prolonging life without giving too much thought of that quality of life. You'll excuse me if I prefer to choose quality of life over length of life.

I think one of the reasons abortion and physician assisted suicide are such hot topics is because stuff like this--social/personal freedoms--brings out other issues like public nudity, legalizing illicit drugs, the right to burn down your own property, etc. All of these things, while personal choices, have negative effects on society as a whole (ex. I don't really want to see naked people while on my way to school, thank-you-very-much. I would be appalled . .

Oh, veggiedog -- I have a mental image of a dope-smoking naked person who is burning down her barn in full view of a schoolbus! Thank you so much you for the laugh this morning! :D :D :D

StillILearn said:
I know we already talked about this when Terry Schiavo was in the news, but here (it appears) we go again: Under what circumstances should my doctor be legally allowed to help me die painlessly?

Well, at least you didn't say "with dignity." I spent a very long time in unwilling proximity to medical professionals, and I don't understand how anyone can believe they should be given any further encouragement to kill their patients. They're quite good at hurrying you along even if you give every indication of desiring a life of dimished quality; give them encouragement and we'd be scrambling for cemetary space.

I was holding my ancient Siamese in my arms when the vet gave her her last shot. She looked pretty darned dignified to me; she just went to sleep and didn't wake up.

StillILearn said:
I was holding my ancient Siamese in my arms when the vet gave her her last shot. She looked pretty darned dignified to me; she just went to sleep and didn't wake up.

If it was only that easy for the people who are suffering from a terminal illness with no quality of life

I'm glad the Supreme Court made the right decision. It really isn't a right of the government to interfere with people's personal issues. Considering this was a very sensitive issue, it was handled very well. Oregon has plenty of precautions to avoid a lethal injection in someone who was going to die (they need two written statements, a spoken statement, and a second opinion from another doctor, I believe). This law is so infrequently inacted, in fact, that there is very little reason for it to be such a huge issue. I don't know if some government officials know what excrutiating pain some of these people are in. If I was in that sort of pain, I wouldn't commit suicide, but I certainly would be praying for my death (and I don't even believe in God) because I've seen too many in that sort of state. Just give them a break already!! If the government can take away the right to die, imagine what other rights they could take away.

Anyway, I'm happy about this. Even though I don't agree with physician assisted suicide, there are so many people who do. I think the Supreme Court has too much power. If the majority of the people want it, give it to them! Jeez. Just because it's legal doesn't mean I have to invoke it on myself. It doesn't mean that Roberts or Bush or Scalia have to use it on themselves. This is a personal decision and shouldn't be the business of the government.

Have a nice day, all! :D

Back