• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Audio Books

Fate

I have a son with a visual impairment and 'cause he also has severe Cerebral Palsy his ability to use Braille is...well...nil. As my son is a lover of literature support workers and I physically read books to him, however, the demands of everyday life are not always so accommodating with time often being at a premium, so I fall back on the use of audio books oftentimes. The problem is finding new audio books that fit in to the genres of his liking. The classics are the easiest to obtain, but those in the Fantasy and Sci-Fi spheres not so much.

I was wondering if anyone else makes use of audio books or has any suggestions of book titles that come as audio books or able to address the availability factor?

There are audio books available for download from such places as Project Gutenberg, audiobooksforfree.com but these books are usually those which are out of copyright. An online search should find you different sites. A commercial site which I use is audible.com which you can join and buy books. There are many different genres but I have not searched specifically for kids books. They do have sci-fi.
There is for free unless things have changed, Talking Books for the Blind which has been around for years. These audio books come by mail.
I hope this helps.

I get audiobooks from the public library. ILL is usually good about getting titles I want. As for titles, I recently listened to the audiobook of Rick Riordan's The Lost Hero and loved it! You would have to be familiar with the Percy Jackson books, but those are also available on audio format.

I listened to James and the Giant Peach purely for the fact that Jeremy Irons was narrating so yes I do listen to children's books on occasion. ;)

Our library system has many audiobooks. Also our library is partnered with netlibrary.com. Netlibrary offers audiobooks and ebooks.

I know that library of congress digitizes, and records books to help the blinds, but I never looked up the details.

Well.. I looked up little bit.. at this LINK

<quote> The National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS), Library of Congress, administers a free national library program for visually and physically handicapped persons who cannot use normal print library material.... Reading materials and machines are sent to borrowers and returned to libraries by postage-free mail. </quote>

Back