• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

August-Fantasy/Sci-Fi Book Nominations

Midshipman's Hope by David Feintuch.

It nearly won last month, so I believe it deserves another bite of the cherry.
Synopsis
After a terrible accident kills all the senior officers on board colonist ship UNS Hibernia, junior officer Nicholas Seafort must overcome malfunctions, mutiny and an alien attack to save over 300 colonists.

I want to suggest Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, but I think it'll probably get discussed (to death) in the HP subforum anyway. :D

Okay then, an old one: Quarantine, by Greg Egan.

ds

Sounds interesting dire
Quarantine begins as a high tech future thriller, with a private detective hired to find a missing woman in a late 21st century Australia where, among other things, one can download software into one's brain, something has sealed the solar system within an impenetrable Bubble, and New Hong Kong has been built on top of Arnhem land. But these glimpses of an exciting future are never really developed or explored in detail, as the focus quickly shifts to the metaphysics of quantum mechanics.
From here

It was a book I had read a long time ago, and it was most memorable for me because it first taught me about Shroedinger's Cat theory, and that it was such a hard core scifi.

ds

Sell Sword said:
SHADOWFALL by James Clemens (I just picked it up!) :D
It's very easy, and to some extent expected, to do fantasy badly. Choked with Lord Of The Rings-a-likes, it's a genre that has an unlimited potential that's very rarely exploited. However, an increasing number of authors are fighting to give it back its respectability and James Clemens is one of them.

Shadowfall follows Tylar De Noche, a disgraced knight who was sold into slavery and whose body has been broken by years in the circus and the gladiator pits. A broken, bitter, helpless man Tylar is on the verge of death when he witnesses something impossible; the murder of a God.
From here Sounds good as well

An epic fantasy about a young girl Maerad and her astonishing yet dangerous Gift. An inspiring, glittering saga. The first novel from this award-winning poet. y unfolds. Now, she and her teacher Cadvan must survive a punishing and uncertain journey through a time and place where the dark forces they battle with stem from the deepest recesses of other-worldly terror.
her site Seems she writes poetry as well, makes me worried that the book is filled with verse. One of the things I did not like about Tolkien was his page long songs etc. The Gift (The naming in the USA) is compared to tolkien on a few sites.

Is this book filled with the same?

Carlos said:
her site Seems she writes poetry as well, makes me worried that the book is filled with verse. One of the things I did not like about Tolkien was his page long songs etc. The Gift (The naming in the USA) is compared to tolkien on a few sites.

Is this book filled with the same?

Nope, not much in the way of verse's in it :) She is very good at description though :) And that probably comes from her experience with poetry.

There were only four books nominated for August, but I couldn't figure out how to make a poll. Can someone set one up?

Midshipman's Hope - David Feintuch
Quarantine - Greg Egan
Shadowfall - James Clemens
The Gift - Alison Croggon

Darn good question. I looked it up, it appears that you have to start a new thread in order to create a poll.

Creating a new poll

When you post a new thread, you may have the option to also create a poll.

This function allows you to ask a question and specify a number of possible responses. Other members will then be able to vote for the response they wish, and the results of the voting will be displayed in the thread.

An example poll might be:

What is your favorite color?

1. Red
2. Blue
3. Yellow
4. Green
5. Sky-blue pink with yellow spots

To create a poll when you post a new thread, simply click the 'Yes! post a poll' checkbox at the bottom of the page, and set the number of possible responses you want to include.

When you click the submit button, you will be taken to the poll creation page, where you can specify the question and the list of responses you want to include.

You may also want to specify a time limit for the poll, so that (for example) it only stays open for voting for a week

Back