• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ayn Rand's Anthem: The Graphic Novel

Ok, here is my review of it:

I think that it visually depicts Anthem, the scenes that it does depict that is, accurately, and said scenes follow tightly to the story line. Many lines are word for word from Anthem. I cross checked my Kindle edition of Anthem to confirm that. The cover of it threw me off, it’s in color, I thought the entire graphic novel was in color, but just the cover is, the rest is done in black and white. Regardless, this medium I think is perfect for this story to be adapted into. Rand wrote, if I remember correctly, Anthem in three weeks. She wrote it while working on her novel The Fountainhead. It was like taking a break from writing that novel for her, I think.

On it’s colorful cover, it also gives one a description:

“The controversial classic of one individual’s will versus the subjugation of society”

This is a dystopian story in which all individuals are a part of the great “We”, where a Council decides what vocation for you to work in, instead of you, where there is no loving just one person, but love for all. It’s rampant collectivism, where the only crime punishable by death is uttering a certain word, the Unspeakable Word, which I will let you read to find out what word that is. But besides individualism vs. collectivism, it also has a touching love story in it. The spirit of the story involves transgressions against the laws of that society in the name of science, love, individualism.

Those already familiar with Anthem, I think, should be able to appreciate the novella being visually depicted this way. And I think that those that enjoy reading graphic novels themselves, should be able to appreciate not only the artwork but also that story progression, and may even want to read Rand’s Anthem afterwards sometime. For me, it makes a nice visual companion to the book.

Yes, I have read Anthem and it is as you say. Good review!

But, I'll be skipping the graphic novel. It seems to me that the GNs of literary works that I have read lose so much of the feeling of the original work. The words are always there, accurately as you say, but the artwork just doesn't capture the beauty of the original author's narrative descriptions, I don't think. Or hasn't yet, so far. So the overall product is just plain disappointing to me.

Any Rand was a Jewish woman who fled the Bolshevik rebellion in Russia. She got to America, changed her name to something more gentile, wrote several books comparing CEO's to Gods and pretty much painting the lower class as a seething mass of ignorant leeches.

She spent her life railing against any social benefits, but received medicare and social security for several months before she died, in an upper East-Side apartment worth millions. Everything she had went to another author who was pushing her philosophy. Ayn Rand did not believe in charity.

What's more, the objectionist belief system is one of "rational-selfishness." Or "rational-self-interest,"as it was sometimes called.

On this point I totally agree with Rand. I definitely believe that the millions of people screwed by AIG, Goldman Sachs, and Wall Street selfishness, should embrace "rational-self-interest" themselves, and demand their government hold these institutions accountable for their actions and stop handing over our tax dollars to them to keep them all in cigars and jets.

So I guess I object to the objectionists. Paradoxical I know, but so was Rand.

Back