• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bad Sequels Are Results of Laziness

direstraits

It's pretty much the norm to expect that sequels be bad, and why is that?

I believe now in my heart of hearts that if a sequel is bad, it's because someone didn't work hard enough. Not because of luck, or some other environmental factors.

I've long believed that Toy Story 2 is one of the few movies where the sequel is better than the original. I recently saw Toy Story 3 and once again it trumps the ones that came before. Somehow that proves to me that creating a great sequel is simply a matter of not accepting mediocrity.

What movies have you seen where the final film of a multi-parter that continually built on the success of it's predecessors?

(Don't tell me the Star Wars prequels, because the story sequences were not made chronologically)

I maintain that Godfather II was superior to Godfather I, but only marginally.

I agree that it is laziness.

Laziness and greed. Usually, when a film is a success making a sequel is the 'logical' thing to do, if only to milk the cash cow a little more.

Most bad sequels are the result of the studios trying to cash in on the success of a hit movie so there is a rush to create a script, to film, and release the sequel while the first successful movie is fresh in everyone's mind.

However, a truly good movie will be remembered years after its initial release as in your example of Toy Story, ds.

Back