• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Banned Books - Read any lately?

Isnt that a list of the 100 most frequently challenged books, not the 100 banned books? A challenge is only someone attempting to have a book banned, not necessarily succeding. At least thats what i thought.

Zolipara said:
Isnt that a list of the 100 most frequently challenged books, not the 100 banned books? A challenge is only someone attempting to have a book banned, not necessarily succeding. At least thats what i thought.

Yeah, I said same a couple of posts down. Also, interesting to look at what constitutes a challenge.

For those who are interested in the Canadian list, you can find it here:

http://www.freedomtoread.ca/censorship_in_canada/challenged_books.asp

I found the differences in the lists quite interesting. Roald Dahl and Judy Blume aren't on this list; Harry Potter is, though. This lists also discusses the nature of the challenge and the result.

I came away feeling that there were three distinct themes on this list: gay & lesbian issues, race issues, and age-appropriateness of some materials.

ksheppard said:
I came away feeling that there were three distinct themes on this list: gay & lesbian issues, race issues, and age-appropriateness of some materials.

Don't neglect religion and politics. If you read the reasons why they were challenged, a surprising number of the Canadian list are banned for political reasons. (Courting Disaster and the one about the kid on the picket line spring to mind.)

And there are all those religious objections to blasphemy, anti-Christian plots, etc.

novella said:
I think in the UK (maybe other European countries too) banning is a national phenomenon, like the recent banning of the latest Kitty Kelley book, the one about the Bush Dynasty.

In the UK it seems more serious, in that it is an overall gov't policy that makes the book illegal throughout the nation, whereas in the US, it's just a formal censorship against having it in the school curriculum. No books are banned from being sold in stores or being owned.

In the case of the Bush/Kelley book banned in UK, the excuse was that the libel laws in the UK are so stringent that the book would certainly come under attack and lose. Funny, Kelley writes these books all the time (incediary unauthorized biographies) and has never lost a libel case--apparently she's very good at sourcing her material. So, what's that about? I think politics might have been a factor?

Just to clarify: I know you didn't intend to mislead, novella, but what you say is inaccurate. Books are never, ever banned by the government in the UK. Very occasionally - the last example I can think of being Peter Wright's memoir Spycatcher, in the 1980s - a book is not published in the UK because its author has breached the Official Secrets Act (ie was a civil servant [government official] and has made public in their book details which are subject to the Official Secrets Act, which all civil servants sign and agree to be bound by when they enter service). Even then the book is not 'banned' but simply not published as the publisher knows that if they do issue it, they and the author will be prosecuted. Maybe that seems like a fine distinction, but as I say, it's very rare anyway.

The Kitty Kelley book on the Bushes was published in the UK (I remember picking up a copy in Waterstone's): maybe you are thinking of Craig Unger's House of Bush, House of Saud, which wasn't. Again this is a case of a publisher deciding not to publish, rather than the book being banned. In this case, the issue as you rightly identify is libel, where laws in the UK make libel actions much more favourable to the complainant. This of course is nothing to do with government action, because any libel proceedings would be a civil action brought by the person allegedly libelled (presumably Bush Sr or Jr in the case of the Unger book), not by the government as a prosecution.

The other issue, now effectively dead, is obscenity. For this, see Alan Travis's excellent book Bound and Gagged: A Secret History of Obscenity in Britain. This shows that since the Lady Chatterley trial in 1960, and the flurry that followed, no book has been banned (ie withheld by the publisher for fear of prosecution under the Obscene Publications Act) in the UK for obscenity.

hay82 said:
I've only read about 10 of the books on that list...
Why is Harry Potter on that list? Don't really understand why there is such a list.

harry potter is since so many christians think its going to inspire childen to seek after real magic or something of the sort. they basically expect their children to think how there isn't a god since its not prevalent in the series. sheese.

i really cannot believe that some of these books are banned. i've read them for school..

I've read 10 of them (counting the Harry Potter and Goosebumps series as 1 book each), and 2 of those (Catcher in the Rye and To Kill A Mockingbird) were required reading for school. We were also going to read "Of Mice and Men", but never ended up doing so.

WoundedThorns said:
i really cannot believe that some of these books are banned. i've read them for school..
Not /banned/, just /challenged/ meaning that people were fighting for them to be banned.

What about the Catholic Index of Prohibited Books?

An amazing list that includes many of the great classics of world literature. It's just fascinating to know who the Catholic church would rather it's adherents hadn't read:

The following have been condemned in the INDEX for being immoral or heretical or both.

Rabelais (Complete Works)
Descartes (Méditations Métaphysiques et 6 autres livres, 1948)
La Fontaine (Contes et Nouvelles)
Pascal (Pensées)
Montesquieu (Lettres Persanes, 1948)
Voltaire (Lettres philosophiques; Histoire des croisades; Cantiques des Cantiques),
Jean-Jacques Rousseau (Du Contrat Social; La Nouvelle Héloïse)
Denis Diderot (CW, Encyclopédie)
Helvétius (De l'Esprit; De l'homme, de ses facultés intellectuelles et de son éducation )
Casanova (Mémoires)
De Sade (Justine, Juliette)
Mme De Stael (Corinne ou l'Italie)
Stendhal (Le Rouge et le noir, 1948),
Balzac (CW)
Victor Hugo (Notre Dame de Paris; Les misérables jusqu'en 1959)
Gustave Flaubert (Mme Bovary; Salammbô)
Maeterlinck (CW)
Pierre Larousse (Grand Dictionnaire Universel),
Anatole France (prix Nobel en 1921, CW à l'Index en 1922),
Andre Gide (prix Nobel, CW à l'Index en 1952)
Jean Paul Sartre (Prix Nobel (refusé), CW à l'Index en 1959).
Peter Abelard,
Erasmus
Niccolo Machiavelli
John Calvin
John Milton
Malebranche
Baruch Spinoza
John Locke
Bishop Berkeley
Condillac
d'Holbach
d'Alembert
La Mettrie
Condorcet
Daniel Defoe
Jonathan Swift
Swedenborg
Laurence Sterne
Emmanuel Kant
H. Heine
G. D'Annunzio
Samuel Richardson (ENG)
Laurence Sterne (ENG)
Stendhal (FR)
George Sand (FR)
Honore de Balzac (FR)
Eugene Sue (FR)
A. Dumas pere (FR)
A. Dumas fil (FR)
Gabriele D'Annunzio (IT)
Alberto Morovia (IT)
Thomas Hobbes (ENG)
Rene Descartes (FR)
Francis Bacon (ENG)
Michel de Montaigne(FR)
Benedict Spinoza(NETH)
John Milton (ENG)
Joseph Addison (ENG)
Richard Steele (ENG)
John Locke (ENG)
Emanuel Swedenborg (SW)
Daniel Defoe (ENG)
David Hume (SCOT)
Jean-Jacques Rousseau (FR)
Edward Gibbon (ENG)
Blaise Pascal (FR)
Oliver Goldsmith (ENG)
Immanual Kant (GER)
Giovanni Casanova (FR)
John Stuart Mill (ENG)
Ernest Renan (FR)
Emile Zola (FR)
Andrew Lang (ENG)
Henri Bergson (FR)
Benedetto Croce (IT)

That's a pretty sizable part of world literature listed there; I'm glad it survived, and they weren't able to burn every copy...

Peace

it reminds me of a story my AP european history teacher told our class. every class has to read the excerpt from praises of folly by erasmus... and one guy said how he can't b/c its against his religion.. catholics have the index of forbidden books... he actually got away with it since my teacher didn't wanna mess w/ religion, but she wanted to see the updated list of the index of forbidden books.. they couldn't find one so she gave him another assignment. he suddenly didn't mind going against his religion =P

Back