• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Banned Tintin

I guess that "Red Sea Sharks", "The Land of Black Gold" must be banned because they depict Arabs as slave traders.

Am I right. I cannot guess the other two.

Perhaps Tintin in the Congo since its description of black people isnt exactly flattering. I know several countries dont publish that Tintin story anymore even if it isnt banned.

I think you're quite right about "The Land of Black Gold". It's set in Saudi Arabia and features some Arabic profanity, as well as a scene in which a man is kicked from behind as he's prostrating in prayer, and a young Crown Prince who's spoiled. Another one is "The Crab with Golden Claw" which is set in Morocco, and I think a car crashed into a mosque, and there were comments such as swearing by saying: "By the beard of Mohammed" (which is something blasphemous, since in Islam people can only swear by the name of God).

I haven't read "Red Sea Sharks" yet, but it's probably the third one. As for the fourth, it's probably set in Egypt, although "Red Sea Sharks" is too. I don't think they'd ban the one for the Congo, since that's not related to Arabs or Islam.

BulldozerGirl said:
I think you're quite right about "The Land of Black Gold". It's set in Saudi Arabia and features some Arabic profanity, as well as a scene in which a man is kicked from behind as he's prostrating in prayer, and a young Crown Prince who's spoiled. Another one is "The Crab with Golden Claw" which is set in Morocco, and I think a car crashed into a mosque, and there were comments such as swearing by saying: "By the beard of Mohammed" (which is something blasphemous, since in Islam people can only swear by the name of God).

I haven't read "Red Sea Sharks" yet, but it's probably the third one. As for the fourth, it's probably set in Egypt, although "Red Sea Sharks" is too. I don't think they'd ban the one for the Congo, since that's not related to Arabs or Islam.
The car crashing into the mosque is a scene from "Land of Black Gold", not from "Golden Claws".

Back