• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Barbara Kingsolver

StillILearn

Barbara Kingsolver...

Did nobody mention Kingsolver? Her book "Small Wonder" helped me manage to live through my shock and grief after 9/11. She just simply lends the most beautiful touches of wisdom and grace to all of life in general.

Okay. I adore Barbara Kingsolver. In fact, I'm really, really ready for another book by her. More than ready. I hope she's writing like crazy.

;)

I really like Kingsolver too. The Poisonwood Bible was an incredible book, it really had an impact on me. Ignore the Oprah book club sticker if you must, because it's definitely worth your time.

The Poisonwood Bible was an excellent read. I haven't read anything else of hers. Are her other books as good?

Barbara Kingsolver is one of my faves, and she doesn't get much play! I remember discovering Pigs In Heaven and The Bean Trees on my mother's bookshelf when I was about 14.
She reminds me of an earthier Alice Hoffman, kind of, or Elizabeth Berg.
The Poisonwood Bible is absolutely amazing, as are the other two books I mentioned and also a book called Animal Dreams. Both Animal Dreams and the Poisonwood Bible are heavy but SO worth it for the amazing stories, uniqueness, and great characters. Before The Poisonwood Bible I had never wondered what it would be like to be a missionary in Africa.
I read Prodigal Summer and I didn't like the love story, I was annoyed by the characters for some reason, but the knowledge I gained about the environment, animals, insects, etc was awesome. I still reference it, years later.
I am now very interested in reading Small Wonder!

Just started The Poisonwood Bible and so far, a wonderful read. This is the first book of hers I've read.

With many books I am able to sit down and breeze through them; my time has been limited lately so I've not had the opportunity to do that with this book as yet. This one may take me awhile. I will make sure I post my opinion of it when I finish it.

I love the first three quarters, and I love Adah.

Story: *****
Writing: *****
Entertainment Value: *
Educational Value: *
Overall Review: *****

10wordreview.blogspot.com

Have to agree with you on 'The Poisonwood Bible'. The writing and story is excellent and she manages to evoke extraordinary images of the Belgian Congo.

Yeah, it's one of my favorite books. I read it maybe five years ago but then I reread it again last year. The writing is just fantastic I think!

Back