• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Basics for Writers

Prolixic

kickbox
Hey how DO you get a good word count for a manuscript? What about picking a pseudonym? Is it necessary? Got any tips for writing cover letters? How do you get it all into one envelope? Is it better to have your manuscript destroyed if they reject it or have it sent back to you? Ink Jet or Laser?

Surely someone knows all this esoteric stuff and maybe some STUFF I left out.

Prolixic, you got a mouthful of questions there!
Prolixic said:
Hey how DO you get a good word count for a manuscript?
It may surprise you but once I flesh out a skeleton idea into a novel, it's a flimsy little novella of about 35,000 words or less! Word count comes from sub-plots and additional writing/ revision to the first draft. Take time to sharpen scenery, dialogue, emotion and reduce powerful moments to milliseconds.
Prolixic said:
What about picking a pseudonym?
My line of thinking is this: Why pick a pseudonym unless you're ashamed of your writing or your dear old ma - bless her - gave you a name like Richard Head, and your buddies call you Dick.
Prolixic said:
Got any tips for writing cover letters? How do you get it all into one envelope?
Cover letters are a pain, but three s's for me: simple, succint, sell yourself.
Prolixic said:
How do you get it all into one envelope?
Normally, you only send out a 300 - 500 word synopsis (2 pages at most) and the first three chapters. These should fit into an ordinary A4. If the publisher is really interested, they might ask for the whole manuscripts in soft copy, else I don't believe paper industry lacks in padded A5 envelopes or larger still, something befitting a full manuscript.
Prolixic said:
Is it better to have your manuscript destroyed if they reject it or have it sent back to you?
Might as well get the darn thing back and send it to someone else. Remember, one man's poison... Harry Potter? Saves you ink and labour, unless you've already made substantial changes to the original submission.
Prolixic said:
Ink Jet or Laser?
I have seen some great quality inkjet. But a publisher's scrap pile can build ten castles. Ideally, you want your work to stand out and escape automated rejection. So - great font, great formatting, great layout. Get that Laser.

Rewrites, surely, give you the word count. Depends on how long you write a book for. As for printer, why sit when you can sleep? Inkjet will do just fine.

Eugen said:
I have seen some great quality inkjet. But a publisher's scrap pile can build ten castles. Ideally, you want your work to stand out and escape automated rejection. So - great font, great formatting, great layout. Get that Laser.

Prolixic, my mistake. I've realised my own printer is Epson Stylus Photo R300 and thought it was a laser as its print quality is first class (you need to ensure correct settings for b&w normal paper as opposed to colour/ photographic paper). This inkjet's a winner, portable, cost effective, and available on Amazon.com $125.99

Eugen said:
Prolixic, my mistake. I've realised my own printer is Epson Stylus Photo R300 and thought it was a laser as its print quality is first class (you need to ensure correct settings for b&w normal paper as opposed to colour/ photographic paper). This inkjet's a winner, portable, cost effective, and available on Amazon.com $125.99

I've got an Epson too and I won't use anything else. I've used lasers--though its been awhile--and I actually prefer this one. *shrug

I guess it just depends on what you like, or rather what your publisher likes.

Eugen said:
Word count comes from sub-plots and additional writing/ revision to the first draft.

I meant once you get it written. Is there an accepted norm for counting words? MS word has a word count feature that counts all the words automatically but I don't think thats what they're talking about. WAAAAY back in typing--yes it was typing once upon a time--I knew how to count words. But thats been forgotten with a mound of other stuff.

My line of thinking is this: Why pick a pseudonym unless you're ashamed of your writing or your dear old ma - bless her - gave you a name like Richard Head, and your buddies call you Dick.

My name is SUE how do you DO!

Cover letters are a pain, but three s's for me: simple, succint, sell yourself.

Thanks. For something that is so important--apparently the cover letter is the most important part--no one seems to want to talk about it.

book proposal

I need help with a book proposal....I need to prepare one for a book that has already been published...can anyone help? :confused:

Prolixic said:
I meant once you get it written. Is there an accepted norm for counting words? MS word has a word count feature that counts all the words automatically but I don't think thats what they're talking about. WAAAAY back in typing--yes it was typing once upon a time--I knew how to count words. But thats been forgotten with a mound of other stuff.
I see... Well, I've never used anything else but plain old word count in Ms word. It's as accurate as goes, why re-invent the wheel? Unless you want to count words in a line, multiply by average lines in a page (accounting for spaces and short dialogue lines) and multiply by overall pages!
In camera? Use Ms word count. Saves you the headache, hun.
My name is SUE how do you DO!
Ooopsy daisy. Hi Sue!

Eugen said:
Ooopsy daisy. Hi Sue!

Sorry. Johnny Cash reference regarding your Richard Head Comment. He wrote a song about a boy named Sue who, upon meeting his Dad the first time, whups him. My name is not sue.

Okay on the MS Word. I love that thing.

Hi, Prolixic!

Sorry I'm late into the game, but here's my two cents:

Hey how DO you get a good word count for a manuscript?

Okay, I think what you're talking about here is the old manner of determining word count. This is still done in a lot of category romance houses (I'll give the reasons following the explanation.)

Originally, word count was determined by estimating that 10 words would make a line of type in Courier 10 font, and there were 25 lines on a sheet of paper with 1.5" margins. This estimate allowed for differences in dialogue lines vs. descriptions. So, each page is 250 words. What's the difference? Well, remember that in olden times (before computers), manuscripts were hand-typed. There was no viable way to count the *actual* words on a page short of paying someone to do it manually. So, if you knew the author was playing by the rules, and you received a 300 page manuscript, you would know that it was 75,000 words. See, the editor had to know the word count to order the book covers. Yes, there are only a few sizes of book covers, and the pages have to fit inside of it tightly! The printed words, plus the "white space" or margins, tag line ends, space between the header and footer, etc. are adjusted to fit the covers ordered by the editor. This is why you'll often see pre-1970 pulp romance or mystery or horror novels that have bunches of promo pages about other books at the back. They're "filler" to make sure that the cover fits snugly due to a short manuscript. A single "sheet" of printer's paper will hold 16 pages of paperback sized pages. A category book is ultimately a cost venture. You don't want left-over pages on the printer's sheet, so you pick the smallest cover and want a word count that EXACTLY uses the smallest number of printer sheets.

Now, the difference in a manuscript between ACTUAL word count using MSWord or WordPerfect versus estimated word count can be phenomenal! An actual ms. of 60,000 words printed in Times New Roman font suddenly becomes 75,000 words using Courier and estimated word count! This is still an issue between older writers and newer ones, who never had to write under the old rules. Category romance (Harlequin, Zebra, etc.) STILL USE the old method, because they have much shorter novels with stock covers (meaning that they buy bulk and use the same size cover for their Blaze line, and their Bombshell line, etc.) "Single title" books are longer and usually buy their covers to fit the book, rather than the book to fit the cover.

What about picking a pseudonym? Is it necessary?

No. I use my own name, but I have a big ego! :D :rolleyes: Actually, it depends on whether you're a private person. If you were to become as famous as Stephen King or Gabriel Garcia Marquez, for example, what's your stance on be accosted on the street for an autograph or people jumping out from behind bushes to snap photos? Anonymity is the primary reason for a pseudonym. The other reason is varied genre. For example, Nora Roberts also writes as J.D. Robb. But until recently, nobody knew that they were one in the same person. Roberts writes romances, while Robb writes mysteries. The publisher wasn't sure whether the reading audience would accept her in both roles (also she wrote so darned FAST that her editors were tearing out their hair and begged her to write under two names! No kidding, she was putting out 9-12 books A YEAR! :eek:)

Got any tips for writing cover letters?

Yep. Be simple and direct. The cover letter should be a simple business letter, not a synopsis of a book. For example, here's one that I did for a non-fiction book that gotten good comments:

McGraw-Hill
Dear Ms. Mikhail:
Enclosed please find a Proposal and Synopsis for a self-help book entitled, “The Absolutely Essential Survival Workbook to: DIVORCE”, which we would like to submit for publication.

The Survival Workbook is designed to be the first in a series of self-help books created to deal with major life changes. The workbook is a unique compilation of pockets, charts, forms and checklists intended to guide the divorcing reader through the myriad of day-to-day details during and after divorce. Unlike other self-help divorce books on the market, the Survival Workbook is an interactive, hands-on tool that can be used separately, or in conjunction with other guides.

There exists a strong market for a book of this sort. There is no single life event that is more mentally crippling than divorce. Ordinary tasks are often too complex to perform, and minor roadblocks seem insurmountable. We propose to provide storage space for documents, calendars, charts and other user-friendly devices to help focus the thought stream of the reader.

We intend for the Survival Workbook to be useful to both male and female readers, and have no favoritism toward relationships with or without children. Since there is no state-specific legal information, the book can be used in any state, in any situation.

We hope that you will favorably review this query and the attached proposal. Thank you for your consideration. We look forward to hearing from you.

How do you get it all into one envelope?

How do you get WHAT all into one envelope? Hopefully, you're only sending a query letter initially, or a query and a proposal. Nobody in today's world wants to get a full manuscript unless they ask for it. Usually, they'll ask for a partial manuscript (a few chapters) if they like the "concept" and then the whole thing if they like it.

Is it better to have your manuscript destroyed if they reject it or have it sent back to you?

Again, if they've requested the manuscript, then I'd definitely send along the postage to return it. You don't want it floating around out there. You have nothing other than a faceless website's *word* that they'll destroy it. Much better to spend the money and ensure that some wanna-be writer down in the shredding room doesn't wander off with your idea. When I send a full ms., I put it loose into a "redwell" expanding file (a bright colored one works well) and put THAT inside an oversized bubble or padded envelope. (The expanding file ensures that it will be easily found in a busy editor or agent's office, it can be stood up on a file cabinet or desk, and the bright color makes it likely that they'll notice it more than once.) You can put in a return envelope with postage, or just include a self-addressed label with stamps attached to the query letter. That's much easier to find and usually an editor or agent won't mind using the same envelope or, if it was destroyed, replacing it with one from their office.

Ink Jet or Laser?

Nobody cares anymore. I use a Laser because it's faster and the toner ends up being cheaper per page over the years. But no other reason.

Surely someone knows all this esoteric stuff and maybe some STUFF I left out.

Oh, you probably did, and I'm sure that my answers will raise all SORTS of new questions! Feel free to ask again!

Cathy

lilypad said:
I need help with a book proposal....I need to prepare one for a book that has already been published...can anyone help?

:confused: Uhm, lilypad -- if the book is already published, what SORT of proposal do you need to do? Is this for subsidiary right sales, or to send it out for reviews, or something else entirely? More info please!

Good stuff CathyC! Thanks a bunch. I'll remember that thing about the toner.

The reason I asked about the envelope is because right now I'm just sending off short stories 10-20,000 words. Its a pain to put it all together and mail it off with a return envelope so they can send back the manuscript if they reject it (I've got a pile of these.)

Yeah and the word count thing was right on--how do you know who to send what to? Perhaps I should send both next time and let them figure it out.

Thanks for the info on the cover letter too.

Prolixic said:
Good stuff CathyC! Thanks a bunch. I'll remember that thing about the toner.

The reason I asked about the envelope is because right now I'm just sending off short stories 10-20,000 words. Its a pain to put it all together and mail it off with a return envelope so they can send back the manuscript if they reject it (I've got a pile of these.)

Yeah and the word count thing was right on--how do you know who to send what to? Perhaps I should send both next time and let them figure it out.

Thanks for the info on the cover letter too.

I use 10x15 size envelopes, rather than 9x12. They work a lot better! Hold a bunch more and it's not too big for the corner mailboxes. If you use this, put the postage and a clean label attached to the query letter. Editors are bright people. They'll figure out you intend the envelope to be re-used and will save it!

Check their websites! That's the best way to figure out their wants. It's VERY, VERY important to send the most current information you can find. If it's a print magazine, pick up the most recent copy of it on the bookstands and look for the masthead box (either in the front, or at the bottom on the back page) that will tell you the acquisition editor's name, address, etc. Editors like that warm fuzzy feeling that shows you actually READ the magazine you want to write for!

It's where a writer chooses to publish their work under an assumed name.

A few well known examples are Michael Crichton (who wrote under the name Jeffery Hudson), Megan Lindholm (who currently writes under the name Robin Hobb) and Stephen King (who wrote under the name Richard Bachman).

Several authors publish their first books under a pseudonym in case the book isn't received well :) Though this can also go the other way, where by an author publishes a book under their own name and it gets bad reviews, so they then write further books under a pseudonym in order not to have the other book associated with them (which would affect the sales of the new book).

HTH

Back