• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Beautifully Made Books

ions

I thought there was a thread on this already but a search failed to find anything.

Being bibliophiles we appreciate books for more than just the tales. We like how they feel in our hands, the texture of covers, the smoothness of pages, the smell, whether aged or new and of course the artwork that adorns the cover front and back. A nice book is comforting to have and makes a great gift. What books do you find particularly well put together?

This post was brought on by my recent purchase of the Penguin Special Edition of Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon with cover art by Frank Miller. The pages have that vintage chop cut style, the cover is a decent stock paper. The pages inside smooth with clear text and perfect margins. The size and weight of the book is satisfying. It sits in the hands as if it belongs, which is a feat considering its girth. The artwork is of course great. ISBN: 0143039946

Others I consider to be well put together:
Anna Karenina Penguin Deluxe Edition ISBN: 0143035002
The New York Trllogy ISBN: 0143039830
House of Leaves ISBN: 0375703764

Vintage, an arm of Random House is probably my favourite publisher. The authors in their stable are top notch matching the quality of the editions they release. Their Dostoevsky trades are very nice.

I'm also a fan of the Everyman hardcovers. Beautiful binding, durable, printed on acid free paper. Very classy.

I have a beautiful edition of George Eliot's The Mill on the Floss. The cover is green with intricate gold designs around the image of a woman in a white dress. The pages are also gold-edged. The print is small too. It's something of a big volume, but sometimes that can be a good thing.

I have a beautiful edition of George Eliot's The Mill on the Floss. The cover is green with intricate gold designs around the image of a woman in a white dress.

That does sound really nice, FM. I was just imaging fancy books this morning in conjunction with another discussion and wondering if rich fabrics are ever used to create book covers. Library of America editions each come in a case and they are jewel colored. The paper is acid free, very thin and easy to flip. Each volume is sewn and a ribbon marker is sewn into the binding. But the covers are just plain with no images or writing at all. Just solid color. The title is only on the spine. Oh well I suppose we can't have everything.

I am in love with the red leather edition of Lord of the Rings. It's basically the only thing on my Christmas list....seing as it's so expensive. It comes in a red slipcase and the book has the design of the doors of Moria on the spine. The whole thing is just beautiful. If I get it I'll post pictures :D
Note: Has it ever happened to anyone else but me where you get a book and the writing either runs into center of the book so far you have to practically bend it at a vertial angle to read...or it's off the page. I was so mad when I bought Stone of Tears and I had to go for two pages only reading half the words. Just the mention of perfect margins made me think of this...

I remember being impressed with the design and feel of one of the books I read last month, I think it was Black Swan Green by David Mitchell, US hardcover. Since I read almost exclusively from the library, though, I can't check up on it easily. It was the typeface and a couple little design elements - the little doodads at the chapter heads - what are they called? Doodads, I guess. It might've been Port Mungo by Patrick McGrath, though.:confused: Both really sweet reads.

When I think of my favorite physical book, I think first of Edward Gorey's illustrated edition of Edward Lear's The Jumblies. Another book I don't own, Gorey's illustrations seem to have been created from the same cloth as the text, they are more than suited, they are one with the serious nonsense of Lear. Don't know how common it is, but this book has no publisher's page, and the only identification I discerned was a date, 1969, and a Library of Congress catalog number. An air of mystery for a mysteriously entertaining little poem.

Ions, I envy your utter familiarity with the publishers' stock. Anyhow you've exposed a really cherished aspect of the reading experience, and if it were me working in the trade, I know my eyes and hands would relish the experience almost as much as any reading. A well crafted object is a true pleasure.

Kurt Vonnegut
"Slaughterhouse-Five"
Norwalk, CT. 1998
Signed Limited Edition
New/Sealed

Easton Press Norwalk, CT 1998 .205 pages. 8 7/8 x 6. Signed by Author. Leather-bound, includes Certificate of Authenticity from Easton Press, notes, and unattached "Ex-Libris" bookplate. Brand new and flawless. Still sealed in the original shrink-wrap from Easton Press.

Contains all the classic Easton Press qualities:

* Premium Leather
* Silk Moire Endleaves
* Distinctive Cover Design
* Hubbed Spine, Accented in Real 22KT Gold
* Satin Ribbon Page Marker
* Gilded Page Edges
* Long-lasting, High Quality Acid-neutral Paper
* Smyth-sewn Pages for Strength and Durability
* Beautiful Illustrations

KV100-3.jpg

Anyhow you've exposed a really cherished aspect of the reading experience, and if it were me working in the trade, I know my eyes and hands would relish the experience almost as much as any reading. A well crafted object is a true pleasure.

That's very well said, Bren. Happiness is a fine book with a good cover.

Kurt Vonnegut
"Slaughterhouse-Five"
Norwalk, CT. 1998
Signed Limited Edition
New/Sealed

Easton Press Norwalk, CT 1998 .205 pages. 8 7/8 x 6. Signed by Author. Leather-bound, includes Certificate of Authenticity from Easton Press, notes, and unattached "Ex-Libris" bookplate. Brand new and flawless. Still sealed in the original shrink-wrap from Easton Press.

Contains all the classic Easton Press qualities:

* Premium Leather
* Silk Moire Endleaves
* Distinctive Cover Design
* Hubbed Spine, Accented in Real 22KT Gold
* Satin Ribbon Page Marker
* Gilded Page Edges
* Long-lasting, High Quality Acid-neutral Paper
* Smyth-sewn Pages for Strength and Durability
* Beautiful Illustrations

KV100-3.jpg

Wow AquaBlue that is a fancy edition. Really pretty color.

That does sound really nice, FM. I was just imaging fancy books this morning in conjunction with another discussion and wondering if rich fabrics are ever used to create book covers. Library of America editions each come in a case and they are jewel colored. The paper is acid free, very thin and easy to flip. Each volume is sewn and a ribbon marker is sewn into the binding. But the covers are just plain with no images or writing at all. Just solid color. The title is only on the spine. Oh well I suppose we can't have everything.
It is a pretty book. I haven't gotten the chance to read it yet, but I look forward to lovingly touch the pages as I devour the story. I found it at a Borders outlet and believe it was only $4.99 if I remember correctly.

I am in love with the red leather edition of Lord of the Rings. It's basically the only thing on my Christmas list....seing as it's so expensive. It comes in a red slipcase and the book has the design of the doors of Moria on the spine. The whole thing is just beautiful. If I get it I'll post pictures :D
The first time that I read the trilogy was with that edition. It was a beauty! Sadly the library doesn't have it anymore.

The first edition of Mason & Dixon is alright too. A mylar dust jacket with the title and author's name covers the paper dust jacket. ISBN: 0805037586

I spotted a copy of 'Against the Day' today; looks like a nice copy but couldn't pick it up to have a look as I've got a sore back at the moment;) Not sure whether to read it or use it to build my garage with; it's about the same size as a building block:)

Back