• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Been to Warwick?

Mai

I've been offered a place in the University of Warwick, starting Fall and I've decided to accept it. I've been browsing online for some information about Warwick where I'll be living in the next three years, still it would be even more helpful if I can get information from people who've actually been or lived there. Anyone from that part of England? Any tips on living in the UK esp concerning bills would be great help esp that I'm considering accommodations and deciding whether I should go for on or off campus and I have to calculate how much the gas and electricity bills would cost me. It's great if anyone who studies in the UK would like to share his experience with me. Thanks.

I didn't study at Warwick but I can help with the other info :) Most first year undergrads tend to live on campus - it's far easier, no bills (only telephone) and it's closer to the centre of things. 2nd and 3rd year students tend to live off campus as do first year mature students (some mature students live in halls but not many).

If you do live off campus, you will have to pay for bills such as water, electicity etc - though students are exempt from paying council tax. I *think* water is approx £400 pa if you are unmetered - electricity varies, possibly approx £50 pcm (haven't had a bill for a while so cant for the life of me think how much it is :rolleyes: - hopefully someone else can tell you). We pay approx £60 for the telephone bill per quarter (not including internet charges).

HTH :)

It might also help if you tell us what country you're coming from, Mai. I lived in the UK for a couple of months, and found the cost of food, drinks and luxuries to be a lot more expensive. This was after living in Canada and Australia where the cost of living is pretty much the same. If you're living off campus, don't forget to factor in the cost of food - it can get very pricey (someone in the UK got suggestions of budget supermarkets - LIDL for example?).

If you're a new student, residence is often a good idea. Although it might be more expensive per month, if you intend to go back home to your parents for the holidays it may actually work out cheaper. It's also a great way to meet new people and become accustomed to a new place.

Warwick?? - best years of my life!!

Hi Mai!!

I went to the University of Warwick...very cool place, I really enjoyed my time there!!!

Best accommodation (on campus)?? Either New Roots or Tocil - don't make the mistake of going for accommodation with seperate bathrooms as I did in my first year - may sound like the lap of luxury but is expensive so attracts rather er....snobby people and is just a lot less friendly, less sociable.

Off campus I would recommend somewhere off Earlsdon high street in Coventry or South Leamington Spa (for cheap and cheerful accommodation) -and if you do end up in Leamington definitely check out the Cask and Bottle - best pub for miles around.

Good things about Warwick?? Great buzz on campus, real busy atmosphere - always something happening in the union day or night, nice accommodation, good support system for students, great multi-cultural vibe, good bars/restaurants on campus, tons of societies/clubs.

Bad things about Warwick? Campus can get a bit claustrophobic after a while, quite an expensive uni & hidden charges, quite a business/science emphasis. Despite that I would definitely recommend it!!!

I'm in Warwick quite a bit. Love the place. Love the fact everyone seems friendly and at ease with each other. Certainly different from where I usually spend my time (Birmingham).

Not sure about prices for rent etc...but nowhere in the UK is cheap and Warwick is a pretty salubrious area. Lovely and tranquil though. Not far from Shakespeare's birthplace in Stratford In Avon

ps.

It's a good idea to apply for campus accommodation in your first year (which you are entitled to), just in terms of settling in and getting to know some fellow students.

You have to live out in your second year anyway, final year places are subject to a ballot, so you may as well make the most of living on campus.

Rent on campus if you go for New Roots etc standard is about £220 a month including bills and broadband connection but not phone (bear in mind this was two years ago). Off campus rent for me was £180 a month (in Coventry) but didn't include between £50-70 extra for bills/ travel expenses and no Broadband.

Just thought I'd make the point as well that the University of Warwick is actually quite a few miles (maybe 6-8?) north of the town Warwick, the campus is actually about 2 miles outside of Coventry. It is a bit misleading if you don't know the area.

Thanks for your replies. They're all quite helpful as I was totally in the dark and confused about my decision. I would take your advice on going with on campus accommodation to settle down (since most likely I have to move out later on). I am from Jordan which is also expensive but probably not as much as Britain. My scholarship monthly stipent is around 550 pounds (not much I know) but I have little saving and plan to get a part time job in the future. I'm also a postgrad student which I've noticed leaves me with fewer options for accommodations. I am interested in the advice on the ensuite rooms. I was considering getting one since I thought I'd get better privacy and I noticed that the shared bathrooms are separate from the bedrooms (from checking the images online). I'm considering Claycroft, Lakeside, and Heronbank. Not Tocil though. Sharing bathroom with 6-12 people seems way too much for me.

I did stay in London for four weeks a few years back and it was whooping expensive. But I guess Warwick would be a little cheaper. If I like to plan a meals budget, how much that would normally cost one, bearing in mind that I'm a veggie? How's the weather there btw? Should I expect harsh winters?

Thanks for the description of Warwick Uni. I am anxious and curious about it. I was told people there are friendly and life is kind of simpler since it's near a town.

Warwick may be a little cheaper than London for say accomodation but everything else is the same (e.g food, drinks etc...). Warwick, being a tourist place has had its prices hiked up.

As for the weather. Expect a very British climate... ie unpredictable :D I remember walking around Warwick Castle one day last year and freezing my bits off! :eek:

The weather? Hmm. Not as cold as in the frozen north, where I live, but I expect you will still find it pretty cold. Bring lots of sweaters, trousers, warm coats and woolly scarves and gloves, as you will need them for far longer than you will need t-shirts and shorts. Summer will last for about fourteen days in either July or August, if you're lucky. ;)

Hi Mai!

Sorry, yeah you won't want to be in New Roots if you're a post grad - far too noisy! To be fair it's 4 bathrooms between 12 people and 2 between 6 I think, and it's students so everyone's getting up at different times, but Claycroft's probably the best accommodation that specifically for post grad's and it's right next to the 24 hour Tesco which is always good :)

Weather wise it's pretty much like Halo said...either that or it's raining...not exactly selling this to you am I?:p.....May and June can sometimes be quite nice.....

Thanks for all your tips and advice. I do feel like I shouldn't bother get my light shirts for the summer months (esp in comparison to here when on cool days, it's in low 30s). If any of you will be studying in Jordan, don't hesitate to ask :p

Back