• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Beginer's story

Um, before I start I want to make sure I'm right in posting this... this is an area for your stories to be reviewed by people, right? Well, I hope it is. This is the first chapter of the first of about 5 stories I have going through my head (This is just the only one I've happened to get somewhat in to in length). The story is about a teenager, Jari, who has a series of events happen to him. There's a slight indication towards him losing his sanity, but you don't know for sure. Either way, he starts hearing voices when he's in room that are telling him to get back at people that have wronged him. In the end he gets out of hand and rapes his ex-girlfriends younger sister. Not being able to deal with guilt, he kills himself. There's a twist at the end, of course, but I don't want to give away everything. This is the first chapter, please be as harsh as necessary. Because of my age (17) I don't really think I get any real criticism and that bothers me (as it should any author). Also, due to a lack of time (and wanting to get further in the book) I have to review any of my chapters. The first one was written several months ago, and I'm pretty sure there are several things I would change but I'm interested in what people think as a rough draft. Well, I guess that's it. Just please don't steal the plot or anything :D

I hate delivering to these god damned apartments. There have been way too many stories of delivery boys getting their car stolen, getting beaten up, or having their money stolen (or a combination of either of the three), and it’s all thanks to these god damned apartments. See, when it comes to delivering pizza there are usually four kinds of people in the world: the rich upper-class, the average people, white trash and ghetto people alike, and then you have apartment housing people. Whether or not you would place them below the scum in their trailer parks, it’s painfully obvious that most of these people forgot what the term ‘further yourself in life’ refers to.

As I step out of my car I wince at the thought of someone else’s ass touching my seat, their hand grabbing a firm hold of my shifter, pushing the clutch in like they were driving a brick through the floor, and driving off with an intensity that was easily too much for my car to handle. My car may not be much, but it’s my chariot; my god damn steed and I am the knight in shining armour. I decided to jump on the whole Honda Civic bullshit bandwagon way back when it was just starting. Fortunately I was able to pick the colour of my car before the zenith of their demand became apparent. Unlike the people in the apartments that stood before me, I had taste, and decided to go with a jet black paint job. Nothing fancy, no flames or any of that needless garbage, just black. If it weren’t for the headlights, I would be able to sneak up on a bat in the middle of the night. The interior was something to rival the exterior: Black leather with red lights in the dash. Nothing useless was in this car, nothing that would waste space or add weight. This is my god damn steed, and I am the knight in shining armour.

The aroma of pizza wafered in the air. The smell might be nice, for a bit, but when it’s stuck in your car the only benefit is that your parents can’t smell the piercing scent of smoke from the cigarette you had the previous night. I awkwardly stepped in front of my car, trying to balance the pizza on one hand, and close the door with the other. The headlights of my car reflected off of my black pants, black shirt, and black hat bearing the Biogio’s emblem; a large B balanced in the middle of a delicious pizza pie. The street was nicely paved, probably new cement (the lazy construction worker bastards can’t figure out how multiply 2 by 2, but yet they get paid over $33,000 dollars a year). You can tell when you have entered an area with an apartment just by looking at the concrete: broken and suffering from a major case of bi-polarism.

Walking up the stairs to the complex, I could see a sign under a street lamp’s glow for a room for rent,

ROOM FOR RENT: ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A CLEAN, NEW APARTMENT IN A GREAT NEIGHBORHOOD? WE ARE CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR TENNANTS WITH A GREAT ATTITUDE THAT ARE INTERESTED IN A FANTASTIC PLACE TO RAISE THEIR KIDS OR JUST HAVE FUN!

How ridiculous. The sign might as well say, “ATTENTION TO EVERYONE WITH AN I.Q. BELOW 90 AND LIKES WASTING MONEY! THROW AWAY YOUR MONEY BY RENTING OUR APARTMENTS!” I lie awake at night thinking about how people like this wake up and look at themselves in the mirror every morning.

“Well, hey there Doug, how’s life? How is the wife and kids? Oh, she’s cheating on you and ran away with the kids? You can always make the best out of it! Wait, you say you’re stuck at a dead end job and the only thing you look forward to is a painful exit from this waiting room we call Earth? Well, nice knowing you, Doug!”

The kind of people that live here are the kind of people that buy those exercise machines you see in infomercials at 2 in the morning. They’re the kind of people that think that living within a block of a McDonald’s is a great benefit (that way they can feel less guilty about eating grade F meat by walking 1 minute to McDonald’s and back). They’re the kind of people that have yellow t-shirt’s that used to be white, but they just don’t care anymore. This particular apartment building, lucky number 205 William’s Street, has a beautiful stair set from the sidewalk to the front door; obviously this kind of luxurious décor is only reserved for the pristine of the pristine. Judging from the sidewalk I would expect that the building was about 6 meters higher than the sidewalk. The feeling of being higher than the people on the sidewalk create a sort of, raised mindset. The wooden stair walkway is about 7 decimeters wide, making it as pointless as the people inside.

When I eventually completed the exasperating trek up the monumental cliff known as the front lawn of the building, I could finally make out the front of the apartment. It was made out of something, I’m not too sure, but either way it was covered up long ago by wood, making it out to look like a large cabin with a modern roof of shingles and gutters. The numbers ‘205’ were placed below the crest of the roof (which happened to be in the middle of the building), like testicles dangling under a light. Though, I doubt you would be able to tell if it was a light at all seeing as how the amount of bugs covering it and flying around it could only be compared to the amount of over weight morons at a blue light special at K-Mart. Directly below the numbers was the front door, the only door as far as I know. I grab the metal handle (it was painted gold at one time, but that has long since faded and chipped away. Did I mention this place was luxurious?) and start to carefully open the door while still trying to balance the pizzas on my hand. The small, 3x8 foot waiting room is a sign of what’s to come. The carpeting is red, as are the walls, and the only decoration is a painting of a grassy landscape. Probably stolen out of a gas station bathroom. As I look down at the pizza ticket to see which apartment I need to buzz (the only other door out of this small cell of cheesy decorations is locked. The only way to unlock it is to ring their doorbell. Hopefully the fat ass watching Jerry Springer upstairs can get off the couch long enough to let me through the door) I see a cockroach scamper across the floor and hide under a floor board.

“My god... This place too luxurious to handle” The buzzer finally goes off after what seems like an eternity and I open the second door. The next room leading to the apartments is so much better than the last. The carpets are red, as before (though now there are mysterious dark stains), but the walls are different. They look as if someone had painted them white and directly afterwards someone else dragged a bleeding body across the middle of the room. The paint was chipping and you could see the wood underneath, something that was a rarity in my life. The second you set foot in the building, the unique smell of urine and cheep beer started to creep in to your nose and hunt out every single crevice until you’re entire head was filled with, what I had thought at the time, the smell of death. As I started half jogging, half walking, up the stairs the sound of my flip flops smacking against my feet drowned out the sound of babies crying and loud televisions. Finally I had reached my destination: apartment 9, belonging to a "Mr. Kenderson".

I know full well what a decimeter is. Why did you use it? Scientists don't even use it...

Aside from the use of decimeters, I liked it.

I'd be interested in reading the rest because I want to find out why this pizza delivery driver has such a poor attitude.

Eh, like I said, I haven't proofed it. For some reason, at the time of writing, that length popped up in to my head as a decent length (I do most of my writing after school and work in the few later hours of the night I have before I fall asleep). That's why I tried to stress that there are going to be errors. But thanks for the compliment, any ideas on revising? And this may not be a question for any one reading, but I've asked several people and no one can give me a straight answer on how to go about getting a book published or where to look for publishers. My goal is to get something (or at least a contract) with a publisher before I turn 18 (10 months from now). Whether or not that's a possible dream, I still want to be an author.

I'd just say "little more than half a meter" or "less than three quarters of a meter" or something like that. Decimeter just doesn't sound right.

Aye, I agree. Thanks for the tip, I just need to re-read some of these things to proof. Any idea on where to find out for the publisher information though?

No idea. I'm just a reader. I have the creativity of a rock. I am sure someone else can suggest something.

The dreaded block

Hi,
I have read your piece. Of all the parargraphs i'd have to say i thought the last was the best. I have written two novels so far and am currently working on my third, so (for what its worth) i'd have to say that it is very important to find a flow when writing. The object being to get the reader to a point where they no longer feel they are reading the text but are absorbing the STORY. This takes practise and many drafts of a piece. Of course flow is different for everybody, otherwise we would all have the same favorite authors. Imagintive describtions like the concret and Jerry Springer ones you use are important but it is important not to use to many of them to close together and they should be in keep with the flow and feel of the rest of the script.
As for the problem of the block try brainstorming. Normally this is used with a group of people but writers write alone. However it does work for me. Start firing words and ideas about your story at your self -either mentally or with pen and paper- new ideas should start to come to you pretty quickly. This method has got me out of many the written hole.
Good luck and keep writing (and if you wnat to get you own back i have posted a short story called "A friend in Need" have a look at it and tell me what you think.
The Hanman

This made me laugh. A Pizza Delivery Man criticizing people who live in apartments for wanting "no more out of life," or something like that, while he smokes up the joint in his car and (I assume), lives with his parents. I think I've found the root to his hostility!

Anyhow, it was decent, but ending it the way you did is a cheap cop-out to try and garner suspense. Give us the closure.

Quote: ...too many stories of delivery boys getting their car stolen. Unquote:

Are you saying that the delivery boys only have the one car? Your character has his own car; therefore one would assume that the other delivery boys also have their own cars: in which case...

...too many stories of delivery boys getting their cars stolen.

Back