• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Beginning Authors

BKHelixDovah

This is a topic board for those who are attempting or are already writing their own mystery stories of any form of mystery, be it short stories or full length novels, and the stories.

I want to start a mystery series in the style of the Millennium books, I find them and their movie counterparts positively fascinating.

I am new to this, I have started writing a book, but put it down because I felt it was not good enough. I decided to write short stories, so far I done had classmates and family read them and they have said that they was good enough to be publish. What I want to know is do I need to get them copy right? and I wanted to post them to get feed back from others to see if they are good enough? What would be the best site to post my short stories on so people can read them? Like, a site I can refer friends and family to go to read them also.

I am new to this, I have started writing a book, but put it down because I felt it was not good enough. I decided to write short stories, so far I done had classmates and family read them and they have said that they was good enough to be publish. What I want to know is do I need to get them copy right? and I wanted to post them to get feed back from others to see if they are good enough? What would be the best site to post my short stories on so people can read them? Like, a site I can refer friends and family to go to read them also.

If your writing is anything like this post, you're not ready for prime-time.

1. no copyright necessary. Like photos, our work is automatically copyrighted to us.
2. sorry, but I have to agree with the above: if your story is written anything like that post, then I wouldn’t say charging is a great idea. have you taken it to a pro editor? Does it have cover artwork? Are there sentences like “I done had...” in it?

Have you ever watched the tryouts for American Idol? You know those guys who say they can sing like the wind because their family and a couple buddies say they can? Yea, it's kind of like that. Get a pro's opinion on it before you put it out there for the world to see/tear apart. Trust me on that one.

Well Mora I am kind of in the same boat, I write story after story, but I don't have the nerve to show them to anyone. I fear the judgement of other people so I started this.

Dude, get your stuff out there. It's the only way, unless you just like writing for fun. :)

Also, it's judgment. Just for kicks. ;)

People will judge your stories regardless of how hard you've worked on them. You just have to suck it up and keep moving. Some of the criticism you receive can benefit you in the long run anyway. Keep writing and get your work out there and you'll be fine.

Yup, even the biggies get slammed. A lot of people enjoy King's work but boy, when they don't, they really throw tomatoes at him. :D

Hey I can deal with tomatoes (unless they are rotten), cause they are delicious, but it is also I want someone who knows what they are doing to be the critic.

Back