• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Ben Elton

Doris Day

I’ve just finished reading Blast from the Past (my first Elton experience), and found it quite ‘dark’ – but also smart and thought-provoking. I think it could be adapted for the stage (or has someone else already thought of this?).

Anyway, I know that he’s penned quite a few other novels, so I was hoping that an avid reader of his books could point me in the direction of his ‘best of the best’… Thanks :)

Try GRIDLOCK. Books don't get any more politically correct than this.

If you like this kind of comedy, you might find it worth your while checking out Hugh Laurie or Stephen Fry: just as funny, both pack rather more of a (dark) punch, imho.

My personal favourite of Ben Elton's is "Past Mortem" - a reflection on social networking sites like Friends Reunited, with several grizzly crimes to solve, and comedy chucked in there too. I would treat it more like comedy than a crime novel but would definitely recommend it if you're interested in his work.

I saw the film "Maybe Baby" based on his novel "Inconceivable" but have yet to read the book. The film was funny and extremely poignent in parts though.

Let us know what you read :)

His first novel "Stark" is very amusing (at least the first half is) and I really enjoyed Dead Famous - a parody of the Big Brother reality program - some very funny characters in there.

I enjoyed the first casualty, entertaining and well paced, I haven't read any of his other books yet but I will in time.

Back