• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bertram MacFarland: Back Channel: The Kennedy Years

MacBear

MacFarland claims this work is historical fiction - but I wonder - especially after reading his recent op-ed piece published in The Moscow Times. Given the documentation that he provides (viewable on his website (Google 'Bertie Mac'), I get the distinct feeling that his book is 99% history and 1% fiction but I'd love to have some comments. He describes himself as a patriot, a soldier, a spy and an assassin and he fulfills all these roles in this first book. I found it hard to put down. Interestingly, even though he describes the book as historical fiction, the only negative reviews on Amazon are ones that question its authenticity! It's a really good read in my opinion but I'd like to hear yours.

Can't help asking. Any chance that

MacBear = BearMac = Bertie Mac = Bertram MacFarland?

Regardless - I'm a born sceptic. If this stuff was true, why would a person who was in that position write about it?

Yes, but as I grow older I’m starting to have some questions. For those that haven’t read my first book, the ‘insurance policy’ referred to is a collection of highly classified documents that I have accumulated over my 50 years of government service. Some of the older documents are now declassified but I challenge you to actually find them. They may be old but they will shake you. The whole collection is stored in a Western European bank’s safety deposit box, the key to which is held by a well-known and internationally respected law firm in that country. Should I, or any of the other people on a short list that I have provided to them, die in a suspicious manner, the law firm will launch an investigation. If, in their sole discretion, they determine that the death was neither natural nor accidental, their instructions are to release photocopies of the entire file to every major newspaper and media outlet in the entire world.

I mean REALLY? which spy thriller did he hijack this hoary old chestnut from?

Then there is the teeny little fact that the only "William Macfarland" I can find who was political anything, died in 1900 ..... clearly this is a clever marketing ploy.

Back