• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best book to movie?

A case in point is the upcoming movie depicting the Honor Harrington space opera series by David Weber. In the books all of the opposing forces operate naval warships that look nearly identical to each other. This makes perfect sense if we assume that all of the antagonists are on or about the same technological level. Physics would be understood in roughly the same way and the ship designs would inevitably be very similar to the point of interchangeability insofar as external appearance is concerned. Think back to the Russian unveiling of Buran. I still remember the rumbling about the similarity to the USA's shuttle and how that stood as proof positive that they stole the design. :rofl

But I digress. One of the first thing's Mr Weber stated in his announcement (I am sure for the benefit of the purist crowd) was that the starships he spent decades describing in minute detail would not be roughly identical across all navies of his universe. Since the movie was a visual medium it would be confusing to the audience with no benefit of the extended descriptions possible in the print format. Personally, I am more interested to see who they cast as Honor. Finding an actress that fits her physical description is going to be a tall ;) order. More AL on the way!

Bet you anything it'll be Charlize Theron (assuming Sean Penn is allowing her to leave the house if/when production starts on this).

As for book-to-movie transitions, I've always loved DePalma's adaptation of Carrie. I think the movie stays pretty true to the book and adds a deeper sense of tragedy to Carrie's character at the same time.
Matheson adaptations are usually pretty good. Duel, Stir of Echoes, a lot of Twilight Zone episodes are based on his stories (most famously, "Nightmare at 20,000 feet.) And I'll be a total girl and admit I liked Somewhere in Time too :p
I like the Universal Studios version of Frankenstein even though it's a very loose adaptation of the book.
And it's been mentioned a lot in this thread, but Jaws.

Dagnabbit, dwarf. Another series for me to start reading!

The author is no Greg Bear. That said, it is quick and simple stuff. I was using the series to fill time during the offspring's dance competitions.

Bet you anything it'll be Charlize Theron (assuming Sean Penn is allowing her to leave the house if/when production starts on this).

Charlize is too pretty. Finding a 6'2" Asian/Caucasian, athletic, kind-of-pretty-but-not-a-bombshell, buzzcut wearing, aesthetically 22 year old, chronologically 45 year old actress is going to be...challenging.

Last edited:
Charlize is too pretty. Finding a 6'2" Asian/Caucasian, athletic, kind-of-pretty-but-not-a-bombshell, buzzcut wearing, aesthetically 22 year old, chronologically 45 year old actress is going to be...challenging.
I think this is were the movie will start differing from the book :)

I can only comment on a personal level, not understanding the technical side of things, I just found it great entertainmnt.

i-dont-like-you.png

Back