• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best "Macho Movie"?

MovieBud

What is the best macho movie ever made? To be considered a "macho movie", it must contain most of these characteristics:

* The villain has no redeeming qualities.
* Things will be blown up.
* Guns will be fired and meaningless characters will be killed.
* The main character won't say much but he will say some catchy things.
* A woman or child will be kidnapped.
* There will be hand-to-hand combat to prove who is really the toughest.
* Someone will have a very cool vehicle.

* Things will be blown up.
* Guns will be fired and meaningless characters will be killed.
* The main character won't say much but he will say some catchy things.
* There will be hand-to-hand combat to prove who is really the toughest.
* Someone will have a very cool vehicle.

First Blood starring Sylvester Stallone. There is a motorcycle and a helicoptor; Lot's of hand to hand fighting, (better yet, boobie traps); John Rambo, silent but deadly; Lot's of cops die before you know their names; a few explosions.

Does that qualify?

How about any of Clint Eastwood's spaghetti Westerns (The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - For a Few Dollars More - A Fistful of Dollars)? Except for the cool vehicle, they pretty well fit. Or, maybe Mad Max (the first one) or The Road Warrior.

Terminator 2. Ahhnold on a Harley with Gargoyles in place. Shotgun, leather jacket, stuff blows up all over. Linda Hamilton kicks butt, exploding cop cars, more burning helicopters, a liquid metal blob/terminator that cuts, slashes, and blows up even more stuff.

Pure testosterone overload

Under Siege. OK, so there wasn't a woman or child being kidnapped, but Erica Eleniak was there sort of against her will. And Seagal had a really big ship, how cool is that?

What about the Lethal Weapons? Or all those Chuck Norris movies. Me and my brother used to love watching those.

Buddy depth

Originally posted by lies
What about the Lethal Weapons? Or all those Chuck Norris movies. Me and my brother used to love watching those.

Well, the first Lethal Weapon did at least have some emotional depth to it, and a reasonable amount of character development - witness Rigg's transformation from gun-chewing suicide-freak to wannabe family man (again).

Tobytook

Speed, with Keanu Reeves an Sandra Bullock.

* The villain has no redeeming qualities. Dennis Hopper's bad guy is rather unlikable.
* Things will be blown up. The bus gets blown to smithereens.
* Guns will be fired and meaningless characters will be killed. Don't know about the guns, but meaningless characters; Jeff Daniels anyone?
* The main character won't say much but he will say some catchy things. Seeing it's Keanu Reeves, the highly poetic "Whoah" can probably be heard once or twice (and of course the "Pop-quiz hotshot"-bit, but that's the villian speaking).
* A woman or child will be kidnapped. Woman: Sandra Bullock; Child: there's bound to be a kid somewhere on the bus, right?
* There will be hand-to-hand combat to prove who is really the toughest. Not just hand-to-hand combat, but hand-to-hand combat on a moving subway-train!
* Someone will have a very cool vehicle. Well... a big flying bus.

There you go (I won't even mention Speed 2).

Cheers, Martin :D

No guns, but one of my favorite macho movies:

Conan the Barbarian

Swords are way more macho than guns, at least the two-handed barbarian variety.

Conan has his way with three women. One woman turns into a monster and he throws her into a fire. She explodes.

Conan is drunk on the black lotus. Punches camel in head.

Conan has to hack off James Earl Jones' head. (It takes two swings!!)

As far as the fantasy film genre is concerned, I don't think there is a finer example.

The Dark Crystal was good, and the Lord of the Rings is great, but there will always be a special place in my heart for this movie.

Originally posted by Martin
* Guns will be fired and meaningless characters will be killed. Don't know about the guns, but meaningless characters; Jeff Daniels anyone?

A bit off topic:
Your mentioning of Jeff Daniels being blown up reminded me of the fact that, being the best friend of the main hero, he shares the common fate of many best friends/brothers/wives in macho movies. They often appear only to be cruelly murdered, so that the main hero can have a personal grudge against the bad guy. What's more, when the bad guy is killed in the end, we fell no sympathy for him, because he earlier murdered the main hero's best friend/brother/wife.

So, never be the main hero's best friend, it's highly dangerous.:D

And I agree with lies on Indiana Joneses. Dr. Jones is the best!

Your absolutely right about the 'Hero's best friend'- bit, Idun, so if you find yourself in a (literally) explosive situation out of which a best friend saves you, get your ass out of dodge! I always do!

Cheers, Martin :D

Back