• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best "Macho Movie"?

Originally posted by funes
How about any of Clint Eastwood's spaghetti Westerns (The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly - For a Few Dollars More - A Fistful of Dollars)? Except for the cool vehicle, they pretty well fit. Or, maybe Mad Max (the first one) or The Road Warrior.
I couldn't agree more. My favorite of these is "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly." There are dozens of cool quotes you could take from this. One might be, "When you've got to shoot, shoot, don't talk." Eli Wallach says this to a gunman who interrupted him while taking a bath, and then stood there bragging about how he was going to kill him for revenge, giving Wallach a chance to shoot him with a gun he had under the bath water.

Yeah, yeah. I always liked "When you want to kill a man, you've gotta shoot him in the heart." Clint's character says this to Indio each time he gets off the ground, having had a rifle slug just bang into the sheet of steel under his poncho.
It's a very understated type of "macho" when contrasted with today's predictable one-liners and ridiculous explosions.
Clint's movies "Pale Rider" and "Unforgiven" might also qualify.

Originally posted by funes
Clint's movies "Pale Rider" and "Unforgiven" might also qualify.
I like both of those movies. I think "The Unforgiven" is a little flawed, but very interesting. I liked it more the second and subsequent times I saw it. I really enjoyed "Pale Rider" and have it on tape. It's formulaic, but a lot of fun. Michael Moriarty was good as Hull Barrett.

Conan the Barbarian
* The villain has no redeeming qualities.
James Earl Jones was awesome!!!

* Things will be blown up.
How about hacked to peices.
* Guns will be fired and meaningless characters will be killed.
No guns. Lots of meaningless characters.
* The main character won't say much but he will say some catchy things.
"I'll be back." Oops! Wrong movie. But I'm sure he said something catchy....
* A woman or child will be kidnapped.
Cpatured as a little kid.
* There will be hand-to-hand combat to prove who is really the toughest.
Lots of that.
* Someone will have a very cool vehicle
Does a horse count???...

I've got to agree with those who mention Die Hard, all men own at least one grubby vest in which to secretly pose. Also Predator WOOHOO my (sadly) favourite macho movie, Arnie, Jessie Ventura, Carl Weathers and a mini gun in one movie enough said. "if it bleeds, we can kill it"
On a higher plane maybe, I agree with funes that Unforgiven has more real machismo than almost any other movie. Also in the same vein I'd throw up The Godfather.
But the most macho? How about The Wild Bunch by Sam Peckinpah.

The fight scene between Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris sticks in my mind. I've forgotten the film name even though I have a copy of it!
Also, I love the Blade films, with the lovely Wesley Snipes.
:cool:

Back