• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best ultra-violent, funny, emotionally involving, tragic, cynical, intelligent...

I'm with you on the "not meaningful" - the ultra-violence is imaginative, but entirely gratuitous. It's certainly not funny, if anything, it seems to take itself way too seriously.
Dark & disturbing, yes. Frank Miller has awesome talent. I would not go so far as to call it "beautiful". I found it rather off-putting, all this talent being brought to bear on something so completeley empty.
Ah, but I see it completely differently. I find Miller darkly humorous, and Sin City is filled with stuff that isn't laugh out loud, but certainly evoked a wry smile or two. His fixation on pretty chicks for instance, and how almost all of them are out of reach. And I thought his over-the-top violence is almost reminiscent of Kill Bill proportions (I won't be surprised if Tarantino was a tad influenced by Miller there).

And when I say beautiful, I meant the art, not the work itself. The work - enjoyable, but the art - very nice. Took me about 10 years to appreciate it fully (I bought and read Sin City when I was too young, and it scarred my mind forever).

ds

Ah, but I see it completely differently. I find Miller darkly humorous. And I thought his over-the-top violence is almost reminiscent of Kill Bill proportions (I won't be surprised if Tarantino was a tad influenced by Miller there).

ds

I read Miller's The Dark Knight - I could see the dark humor in there. Missed it in Sin City, I suppose... Maybe I am too easily put off by this kind of over-the-top violence these days. Not that The Dark Knight was really that much less violent, but it seemed much less sadistic.

With Sin City, I was indeed very much reminded of Kill Bill, I agree with you there - but then, much as I really liked both Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill struck me as entirely pointless, worse, actually: I found it boring. Could be me, though: most of my movie-going friends are raving about both Kill Bill and Sin City. Not that any of them has read Miller's graphic novels.

Tarantino and Miller, now there's a match made in, well, maybe not heaven.

Oh no! You didn't say Kill Bill was BORING!! I see that I have to send Uma after you now. :)

I loved Kill Bill precisely because it was so tongue-in-cheek - it was primarily a comedy of sorts for me, and it just couldn't stop poking fun at itself! The funniest part in the whole duology by a longshot for me was the part where Uma
poked out Daryl Hannah's eye
. It was a throwback to the old kungfu movies I had seen growing up as a kid.

I preferred Dark Knight Returns much more than Sin City, actually. The story was much stronger, and more enjoyable. I liked Sin City, but I'll say it definitely isn't Miller's best.

I've not watched Reservoir Dogs, but I didn't really enjoy Pulp Fiction.

Tarantino and Miller. huh? You may have something there. Ultraviolent satire for the masses. Anything but another Robocop, eh? :D

ds

Oh no! You didn't say Kill Bill was BORING!! I see that I have to send Uma after you now. :)

I've not watched Reservoir Dogs, but I didn't really enjoy Pulp Fiction.

Tarantino and Miller. huh? You may have something there. Ultraviolent satire for the masses. Anything but another Robocop, eh? :D

ds

I spent Xmas Eve under the Xmas tree in fear of Uma.

Tarantino has always been 2 things for me: violence and whacky dialogues. Reservoir dogs has plenty of both (the analysis of Madonna's Like a Virgin comes to mind), Pulp Fiction has a bit less of the first and a bit more of the second, and Kill Bill seems to have dispensed with the quirky dialogues altogether.

I guess I prefer Reservoir Dogs, because it came across as much more immediate: when watching it I didn't always catch myself trying to guess what he was quoting now - even though there are certainly enough movie quotes in there.

Back