• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best version of Ulysses?

Sarcasm | Sar"casm |
n. F. sarcasme, L. sarcasmus, Gr.
sarkasmo`s, from sarka`zein to tear flesh like dogs, to bite
the lips in rage, to speak bitterly, to sneer, fr. sa`rx,
sa`rkos, flesh.
A keen, reproachful expression; a satirical remark uttered
with some degree of scorn or contempt; a taunt; a gibe; a
cutting jest.
1913 Webster

Syn: Satire; irony; ridicule; taunt; gibe.
1913 Webster

Just because I can't help but feel you're serious. That confuses me. :confused:

Doug Johnson said:
So you're not confused by Dan Brown. So you feel it's OK to mock writers who can be understood?

What the Hell are you talking about?! Where do you get that?! Do read my whole posts or just select a handful of words from them? If a writer can't be understood, by anybody, they are not much of a writer now are they? The level of accessibility does not determine a books greatness and I never said it did.

Kenny Shovel said:
Looks like I’ve found a couple of pretentious fops you need to remove from your list of favourite writers.

Wonderful doesn't sound anything like as affected in Yankee though does it?

But the award of golden anorak of the week must go to Kenny Shovel for his extensive research.:D

jaybe said:
But the award of golden anorak of the week
I wondered if that joke book had been photocopied before it was returned to Bob Monkhouse...

jaybe said:
...must go to Kenny Shovel for his extensive research.:D
Which involved skim reading two randomly chosen pages from a single book…

In case anyone is counting noses, pretentious or otherwise, I read it, enjoyed it on average and parts of it very much.
Peder

Back