• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Best War Novel?

Mark4583

I need some recomendations on a real good War Novel, I prefer Fiction and Mass Market PP.
Juat havent been able to find some good reads in this area.

Been a while since the last one I read, The 13th Vally if I remember right, the authors name slips my mind.
Dosnt matter wich war so long as its not a Rambo type, has to be a realistic book.
Thanks

A few off the top of my head...
War of the Rats by David L. Robbins -WWII basis for the movie Enemy at the Gates
We Were Soldiers (forget the author)
The Lost Batallion by John W. Nell

Try "The tin drum" by Gunther Grass. Maybe not exactly what you are after, but its a great WWII book.

I dont know if its published in english but Odon von Horvath's "Jugend ohne gott" is a very interesting and foreseing book about the growth of nazism. The english title would be something like "Youth without god".

An Army at Dawn - Rick Atkinson it's about the war in N. Africa
We were soldiers once . . . and Young - Lt. Gen. Harold G. Moore

Eye of the Needle - Ken Follett: Great intrigue & suspense, and a very mainstream read.

The Wars - Timothy Findley: More in the literary vein, but a very moving WWI story, and a quick read to boot.

Regeneration Trilogy - Pat Barker
Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks

All of the above are great WWI novels.

The English Patient - Michael Ondaatje
Atonement - Ian McEwan

I am told that Slaughterhouse 5 is a great war novel, but haven't read it myself.

Skycat said:
I am told that Slaughterhouse 5 is a great war novel, but haven't read it myself.
Not sure if Slaughterhouse 5 is what Mark is looking for - it's an anti-war novel. Very good book, though.

Just wanting war novels is a little bit of a stretch for recommendations - I mean, Conn Iggulden has been writing some fantastic war novels (albeit set in Roman times!). And Sharon Penman very effectively writes about war in 'The Sunne in Splendour', which sums up the War of the Roses. Both excellent, but maybe not the war you were thinking of??

Mark4583 said:
I need some recomendations on a real good War Novel
i would love to help you, but i can't!!
but i have a poem for you! I found it when i made my research on world war II:

He was just another soldier
in a yankee uniform,
who gave his life for freedom,
that we migth carry on.

And to keep the things we cherish
and the liberty we love,
for we know they shall not perish
while our boys march along.