• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Beth Gutcheon

I recently read Beth Gutcheon's More than You Know --my first Gutcheon novel. It's a hard-to-categorize book--part coming-of-age, part romance, part ghost story. I very much enjoyed Gutcheon's multi-generational portrayal of a Maine fishing village. I also thought Gutcheon did a marvelous job of depicting a troubled relationship between an adolescent girl and her stepmother. I'm especially curious about what others thought of the ghost-story element. I enjoyed the ghost's presence in the book, but in the end, I wasn't sure whether I was satisfied with how that element fit in with the rest of the story. In all, an absorbing read that left me thinking.

mamabookworm61 said:
I recently read Beth Gutcheon's More than You Know --my first Gutcheon novel.
I just picked this one up a couple of weeks ago. Haven't read it yet, but I definitely want to. The ghost story element is what made me buy it. That, plus I always love books that have the state of Maine as a setting.

audreybree,
Let me know what you think of it! I especially like the way that Gutcheon weaves together the stories of the characters so that they also reveal the history of the region and the changes that the region has undergone. I'll be discussing the book with my book club next week.

Back