• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bible poll: fiction or nonfiction?

Bible: fiction or nonfiction?

• Fiction

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • Nonfiction

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
sirmyk said:
Bull-sucking spit. And you can call me sirmyk, or smirky, or notsirmyk, or Dr. Smirky, or whatever else you please. Yes, this poll (now closed) had only two options, but the idea was originally poised to determine where the book (whether fiction or non-fiction, hence the term "book") should go. It cannot be proven as fiction. It cannot be proven as non-fiction. So, where should it go? Faction? I think a "spiritual" or "religious" section of bookstores would suit it best.

Please don't let your spiritual beliefs bend you to insult others.

Defining the Bible as a "history book" would be defining the Bible as "nonfiction", which, if I am not mistaken, is your answer to this original poll. You think of it as "history", while many others think of it as "myth" or "fantasy".

For this thread, we could easily subsitute the word "Bible" with the title: "Koran" or "Book of Mormon" or "Book of the Dead" or any other religious / spiritual book.

My point exactly, which is why religious debate on this thread can take a fying fluck.

If the forum says no religious debate then thats what should happen....No religious debate. Some folks like to include a simple question they know will provoke, to see how far they can push the boundries then sit back and watch the fireworks.

....to insult others, no I just respond like for like.

Fact or fiction. I have listed a few characters from history, all were alive and real and all have had many books written about them. Where do we put all these books? A poll to see if a book about Cleopatra is fact or fiction? May-be not, it would not provoked quite so much :rolleyes:

Cleopatra 69 BC / August 12, 30 BC
Julius Caesar July 12, 100 BC / March 15, 44 BC
Jesus Christ 1BC / 33AD 6 BC Earliest / Latest AD 36 Due to a mistaken calculation based on the Roman Calendar) William the Conqueror 1028 / 9 September 1087
Henry VIII 28 June 1491 / 28 January 1547
Pocahontas c.1595 / March 21, 1617

You say some people think of it as "myth" or "fantasy", thats fine but it does not make it any less real. Others think the Moon landings are fantasy, but right now we still have a few astronauts to ask, what happens when then are gone, the myth gets enhanced.

chris302116 said:
...I have listed a few characters from history [Cleopatra, Julius Caesar, Jesus Christ, William the Conqueror, Pocahontas), all were alive and real and all have had many books written about them. Where do we put all these books?
These were all real people. We put historical/biographical/blah books about real people under non-fiction where they belong.

You make absolutely no sucking fense with your debates. You keep mentioning Jesus; I wasn't aware he was in the Old Testament (a huge chunk of the bible). Yes, Mr. J. was in The Bible, but the Bible wasn't a biography of the J-man.

The moon landing........................................? Uh, yeah... Earthings have successfully landed on the moon. Fact. Books about the moon, by astronauts or others, should be categorized as non-fiction. Bigfoot is a myth. The lockness monster is a myth...

Please stop posting here. We all know your answer. And, I don't care about your faith.

P.S. A question for all: don't most scientists believe Christ was born around 2 A.D. according to our current calendaring system?

sirmyk said:
We put them under non-fiction.

You make absolutely no sucking fense with your debates. You keep mentioning Jesus; I wasn't aware he was in the Old Testament (a huge chunk of the bible). Please stop posting here. We all know your answer. And, I don't care about your faith.

P.S. A question for all: don't most scientists believe Christ was born around 2 A.D. according to our current calendaring system?

Thats no way to reserve your place in Heaven ;)

If In Doubt...

I highly recommend "The Late Great Planet Earth" by Hal Lindsey or "More Than A Carpenter" by Josh McDowell for starters if you want to learn the validity/reliability of the Bible.

both of those authors are staunch christians, they are hardly likely to be objective regarding these matters.. and good for them, no reason why they should be otherwise..

sirmyk said:

No. The historian Josephus puts King Herod's death at 4 B.C., so Christ must have been born one or two years before that. I haven't heard anything about 2 A.D.

Back