• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bill Willingham: Fables

Libra6Poe

A week and a half ago...

I went to my favorite comic book store to buy Stephen King/Marvel's Dark Tower Issue 1. Everyone was incredibly nice! It was the midnight "party" for the release of DT1 and there were only two employees, 6 customers (including me & a friend), a dog, & two cats. So they were really appreciative to those that did show.

Comic book guy & I started talking about Vertigo and he highly recommended Fables. I actually hadn't heard about it before. I still don't know when it came out. Anyway, while I was talking to him, Older Comic Book Guy came up to me and gave me the first issue. Gave me. Lots of freebies that night, pays to be one of the few at a midnight "party."

Later that day, I sat down and read this intro by the author, Bill Willingham... It was AMAZING! So I read it and I was already hooked.
For Valentine's my boyfriend got me the first graphic novel volume. (He said that when he went to go buy it, comic book geeks swarmed him and got into a huge frenzy over it and kind of freaked him out :p !)

So, there you go.
Check it out for yourself, you can download the first issue over at DC's Vertigo, here: http://www.dccomics.com/graphic_novels/?gn=1606

Here's Bill Willingham's official site as well: http://www.billwillingham.com/

Hope you enjoy it. If not, oh well. :shrug: It's my kind of thing... I've always enjoyed fairy tales and the like.

I think I have heard of this comic, the plot seems familiar; I am downloading issue #1 now. Thanks for the link. :)

Hey Libra...

I have read Fables, and yes, I like it too. I've just finished Volume 9: Wolves last week, and my Fables tradepaper collection is complete except for 1001 Nights featuring Snow White. So yeah, I suppose I am a fan.

I have written about the first volume here in BAR, although I must say the link in that post has been updated to this (because I changed the location of my blog).

So what did you like about Fables?

DS! I see that I missed your thread somehow! I did a search, but didn't come up with anything.

Well, I only have the first volume, but I absolutely love fairy tales in general... and I thought Fables was great at putting these characters into our "mundane" world. And I'm interested in their exile...

I love it when fairy tales are given something higher than a "G" or "PG" rating.

I think my next buy will be Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall. At the end of that free first issue that the comic book guy gave me, there was a preview at the end. It was about "Bigby" and unfortunately it cut off and I'm dying to know what happens next.

Legends in Exile:
However, I felt a little disappointed with the end of this volume. I blame it on that Patricia Arquette show Medium. It was last year, season 2: They were looking for someone's daughter... all they found was her car & it was full of her blood. They said that they had to declare her dead with that amount of blood. Anyway, it ended the same way in Fables... she wanted to runaway, collected her blood and dumped it somewhere. Maybe if I hadn't seen that episode, I'd be more amazed with the outcome.

Legends in Exile:
However, I felt a little disappointed with the end of this volume. I blame it on that Patricia Arquette show Medium. It was last year, season 2: They were looking for someone's daughter... all they found was her car & it was full of her blood. They said that they had to declare her dead with that amount of blood. Anyway, it ended the same way in Fables... she wanted to runaway, collected her blood and dumped it somewhere. Maybe if I hadn't seen that episode, I'd be more amazed with the outcome.
Ah geez. That must have spoiled it for you. :) I hate it when that happens to me. :)

To be honest, the first few volumes didn't really excite me all that much. I mean, it was good, but it wasn't blow-me-away good - and I was at a stage of trying out all sorts of new stuff in the graphic novels side of things. I contemplated stopping the series (which I did for a time - I bought plenty of other stuff in between).

But in the end I was glad I didn't give it up, as it improves as it goes a long, and the latest installment was really good.

Although the story started off with a whodunnit, it doesn't stay that way, and that made me think for a while that it wasn't really focused. But it turned out okay.

My favourite fable is Boy Blue. Having trouble figuring out which fable he was from. But unless you read further you probably won't know why a desk clerk is cool. :)

ds

I found this on Wikipedia:
Little boy blue, come blow your horn.
The sheep's in the meadow, the cow's in the corn.
Where's the boy who looks after the sheep?
Under the haystack, fast asleep.
Will you wake him? No, not I
For if I do he's sure to cry.
I suppose I don't have a favorite right now, as you say... I'll have to read more and find out 'bout how cool all the characters are. :p

I haven't read your blog on Exiles yet, but I do plan on it... I'd like to talk more about this series... but maybe I should go out & buy them first ;)

Back