• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Biographical Fiction

Elyse Mac

kickbox
Hello ladies and gents,
I was just going to ask what other peope's opinions were of biographical fiction. It seems that I am always picking up books at the book shoppe that are bio. fiction and I wonder why I'm drawn to it. I can't really get a grasp on whether I think it is great, or if it is invasive. I'm currently reading Susan Vreeland's "The Forest Lover" about the Canadian artist, Emily Carr, and I just got through with "Earthly Joys" by Philippa Gregory about famous gardner, John Tradescant. Would love to know everyone's views.
Cheers
Elyse

My first reaction is that I would rather read a good, solid biography of the non-fiction variety. When I read biographical fiction, I can't help wondering which parts are true and which are not. Truth is stranger than fiction anyway. I also like autobiographies. A good one feels like the person is really talking with me.

Yes, quite a good point. I do love a good biography. I absolutely love Audrey Hepburn's biography. Honestly have not ever read an autobiography.
You're right. I often find myself wondering which parts are true and which are made up. Many times, I think it's wrong to add to people's lives who cannot tell the true story, or which have not told the true story.

I agree with you Mari in that I find myself continually wondering if what I am reading is a fictional part of the story or not. I would take a non-fictional biography over a fictional one almost 100% of the time unless it is about someone where very little factual information is known. Say a fictional biography about Homer for instance which tells of a romance he had with a blacksmith's daughter. On second thought, I would probably never read a novel like this...

I also find reading non-fiction bios better than reading fictions ones for the same reasons. I usually find myself researching the person who the story was about if I read a bio thats fiction because I really can't stand wondering which parts were true and which wern't.

~MonkeyCatcher~

Back