• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Biographies.

jaybe

Do any of you read these? Or autobiographies?

If you do please tell me which ones you have really enjoyed or learnt anything interesting from.

Esmeralda Santiago has a few--When I was a Puerto Rican being the first. I read it for a class in college and couldn't get enough. I read the other two, Almost a Woman and The Turkish Lover immediately after. All three are wonderful.

At Home in the World, by Joyce Maynard, is another good one. It details her life as a young woman living with the acclaimed, reclusive author JD Salinger. Very controversial.

As for biographies, Mary Lovell's book about the Mitford sisters is very absorbing.

I read Ginger by Ginger Rogers, and it was pretty good. I tend to read just biographies though, and not autobiographies. Pretty much anything I can find at Barnes & Noble.

I'm reading Henry and June by Anais Nin right now. It details Nin's erotic relationship with both Henry Miller and his wife June during the early 1930s. The prose are stunning--Nin has a writing style that really reaches out to me.

Back