• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Bit of a puzzle

Dave66

kickbox
I collect vintage works by the Irish Author L.T. Meade for my infant daughter to read when she's old enough. A few days ago I received in the mail an rarer title of that author, and as I entered the work in my database, I realized the book, according to many scholarly publications, was first published in 1879. However, on the ffep, in vintage script, states that the book was acquired by the Wakefield Library on December first, 1878, and was the 1643rd book acquired by that library.

Now that bugs me. It even says, on the title page, that Robert Carter and Brothers of New York published it in 1879. As a student of the author and her works, both her young adult fiction and her detective and medical works for 'The Strand', I pride myself on in depth research prior to collecting anything. And I was dead sure 'Water Gipsies' was first published, in London and the US, in 1879. But as the man says 't'aint necessarily so'.

The research goes on . . . .

Dave

Back