• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Blogging and Privacy

mehastings

I know there are quite a few of you out there with blogs. I've even looked at some of them when bored at night. So, I'm kindof wondering what your feelings are about privacy.

Do some or all of the people in your real life know about your blog?
Or is it something secret that you keep to the online community?
Or, do you just keep it to yourself?

My blogs are meant for myself, but I don't mind people reading them. I don't go out and give the link to my page to all the people I know, but I don't want to keep it private either.

And for those things that I really want to keep to myself, I have the diary :)

IMO, _most_ of the people have blogs because they want to share them with people. I think, in general, blogs are public.

--my blog consist of not so very private and intimate story of my life,usually it's just my everyday way of living and I let my friends read them,when they asked me how am i doing,i'll tell them, "just read my blog!" :D

A couple of my friends read my blog - it's not like I divulge anything there they don't know yet.

Cheers

I have a blog that nobody knows about. At present only my wife knows about it. Nobody reads it as far as I know. It's just that I'm not very consistent in updating it.

I'd probably let more people know about it later, when I've got more stuff up.

I don't really mind whoever reads my blog. As long as they don't send me their medical bills when their eyes fall off their sockets from boredom.

ds

direstraits said:
It's just that I'm not very consistent in updating it.
You can't be as bad as I am ;) Though I've just about given up on mine now - i'm hopeless at updating it.

I have no problem with people knowing about my blog, though I don't make a point of telling people about it offline. I don't really post anything too personal, anyway, and I tend not to post even first names of people I refer to (unless they're public figures).

I like a certain amount of privacy. I don't want people I may know in real life knowing what I write online, either on my LJ or on forums. I seldom use the same user names across the internet - I don't want people from other forums knowing where else I post.

On some forums I eventually reveal other forums I post on or my LJ.

I don't have a blog, it's not that I mind people reading what I write, I just don't have a clue what I would put in it and I'm not all that organized. I have tons of notebooks, I always carry at least one, I keep them in no particular order and I don't date most of what I write. My family and friends look at my notebooks a lot and I enjoy sharing them I just have no desire to clean the mess up and share it publicly.

mehastings said:
Do some or all of the people in your real life know about your blog?
Very few people know about mine, and the ones that do are my truest friends. I use it mostly to keep in contact with my friends who live on the other side of the world or on the other side of the country - I'm notoriously bad at email but I keep this fairly well. As such, my good friends in my town and even my partner do not have the address, although my partner may know about it anyway because we use the same computer. It doesn't really matter. I never talk about other people on it, though. It just doesn't make good sense to put something in print that you would mind someone else reading. Even if they don't have the address, you just never know.

I used to keep a written journal with my thoughts on different things. Sometimes I would put personal experiences, but mostly it was about books, movies, resturants, wine and beer. I wanted to remember how I liked certain things so that I would know whether or not to revisit them. I decided to start doing it online because my handwriting is bad and I write so much slower than I type. I've made it public to people online, but I don't think my real life friends are going to be invited.

Mari said:
Gee, thanks.
:cool:
I didn't mean that I would need to be very bored to look at people's blogs. It was actually interesting to read them and learn a bit more about people who post here...

Back