• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Blogging down on the farm

WriterJohnB

As it relates to my post about how to get noticed, I thought I'd tell you what I'm trying (Thank you, Stewart, for advice). I've begun blogging at MonkeyJohn's Blog. The experimental part is that I'm not primarily blogging about my writing, but about my experiences living of the edge of the Great Dismal Swamp with horses, chickens, geese, turkeys, cats, dogs and assorted wildlife visitors. I'm trying to catch the interest of those folks on Facebook who want to escape to a "virtual" rural life by trading imaginary animals and crops with "Farmville." Besides, so much stuff goes on in my life that I can't imagine living in a city neighborhood, relying on TV and the web for my excitement. I've got a life. If I can get followers on the blog, they'll get to know about my writing career, as well.

I'll let you know how it works out. Drop by and see what's happening in the swamp.

Hey John,

your blog looks alright. The immense amount of pictures made my computer react a bit slow, but that says more about my computer than your blog, though.

Doing some of these posts from the viewpoint of a dog is very cute. It'll keep people interested and coming back for more. The first thing that popped into my mind, though, is that since you have so much to show, why not start a vlog (or video blog). There's loads out there if you Google it.

Also, people might want to read something from you. You're a writer after all. If your posts are funny, interesting, thought-provoking or otherwise entertaining, people will come back.

And lastly, if you want to do this whole new media-thing, incorporate Twitter and Facebook buttons. We can't live without, no matter if we don't like them or we do.

Hope it helps.

Marcel

Sorry, I've forgot to give you some examples of self-publishing writers:

Goblinbooks
Harris Tobias
The Feckless Goblin

Well, they're all horror writers, but that's just the circle I'm in.
Here's one more to let you see what you can do with a blog:

Final Girl

Hope it'll give you some inspiration! Just keep asking yourself the question what do you want your readers to think about, to do or to feel.

Marcel

Back