• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book about Asian or Hawaiian teen/preteen at boarding school(?) who sneaks out...

Marie M

Hello, I live in Texas, so if that helps narrow this down... I read a part of a book or short story several years ago that had a vivid scene about a teen/preteen at some kind of boarding school or communal living space who was sneaking out (or perhaps just venturing out) at night and the author described the light through the windows and a field. I think the time period may have been during a World War or sometime in the 1950s/60s or beyond, but I'm pretty sure it was not before the 50s. The house/building that was described was simple and tan colored, I think. I really loved the descriptive language. I think palm trees were mentioned or some other indicator that the setting was tropical, maybe Hawaii or a Southeast Asian country, maybe an island? It may have been non-fiction, because the author I believe was of the same ancestry as the main character.

If it rings any bells, please let me know! Thank you so much!

Last edited:
A couple guesses...

The Symphony of Leif
by Paul Y Csige

The Education of Patience Goodspeed
by Heather Vogel Frederick

Back