• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book Barns

Robinson Crusoe

I am constantly looking for used book dealers whose facility is called "Book Barn" and they are usually an old barn. Can you tell me the location of any? Thank you.

Wow, that is nifty. I'll put it on the list of bookstores I want to visit, currently Larry McMurtry's store in Archer City, Texas (nothing like seeing a Pulitzer prize winner shelving books) and Powell's in Seattle.

I am always a bit put off by the idea of buying books by the foot for decorating purposes, as this place seems to do a brisk business in. I mean, don't those people have books of their own they need shelf space for? Then I have to remind myself that everyone is not like me.

Ashlea, usually those that buy 'books by the foot' are interior decorators that are doing someones home that isn't a book person; just for show purposes (mostly leather bindings) Also used in executive's offices. Some times used in photography for advertising purposes. I believe that Baldwin's Book Barn does most of it's business in areas other than "By the foot". They did a fabulous job of coordinating a rebinding of a 19th century Robinson Crusoe book for me.

BREAK OPEN

Ashlea, Have you been in Powells's. It must be a monster because they seem to take in 1000 books per day. Can you describe it's appearance, inside and out?

I have not been to Powells but a friend went while he was on a business trip and says it's very impressive. Just books EVERYWHERE, and from the sounds of it organized enough to find what you're looking for.

Looked into a trip to Booked Up - Larry McMurtry's bookstore in Archer City, it's 6 hours away in the middle of nowhere but might make a nice road trip when the weather's nice. Town of 2000, nothing there but a Dairy Queen and this massive bookstore in 4 buildings, all used, rare, antiquarian. Larry himself unpacks 20 boxes everyday when he's there. They just leave the buildings open, when you want to check out you take your selections across the street to Bldg 1 where the cash register is.

Ashlea, why didn't I know of McMurtry's before I retired? I used to be in Texas every couple months. If you spend the whole day perusing the 4 buildings, where do you go to sleep? What's the nearest airport?

Nearest real airport would be Dallas, then a 2-2 1/2 hour drive. Maybe you could get a very expensive commuter flight into Wichita Falls, but I wouldn't bet the farm.

There are 2 bed and breakfasts there, one called Lonesome Dove Inn. Someone joked (Susan Sontag?) that McMurtry lives in his own theme park.

Ashlea, have you ever heard of anybody that visits McMurtry's to find books for other people? Such as for me? I read your referanced article; great story. Will phone calls to them result in them searching for books?

Ashlea, a coincidence. While sitting in the lobby of our hospital, I picked up "Entertainment Weekly" Nov. 28, 2003. It has a 4 page article about Larry McMurtry. The article was primarily about his writing but did mention his book stores and the Dairy Queen, also an interior picture. I wonder how many people visit the shops per week? When is the weather best for visiting there?

You know, I read that article. To me, it sounded like McMurtry played the interviewer like a fiddle. He had his "I don't care what goes on in Hollywood" act going on but he reads Variety everyday? The blase act about how not very many of his novel are any good is pure Texas, too.

Different weather there than Houston, not much rain there ever. Otherwise, it's never terribly cold (low in the 20's). It starts to get hot in June and will stay that way thru September. Really hot in August. Maybe April or early May would be nice.

I bet he gets almost no business during the week but a lot of people from Dallas on the weekend. It's a nice day trip from Dallas.

Ashlea, you really pegged him. I'd love to talk to several people that have perused the shops and get their overviews of the contents. I wonder how one could find such people; maybe some Dallas book clubs? I wonder where all of his books come from; perhaps people just drive up with a car full or he has ' finders' that do estate sales. "The Book Barn" in Niantic, Ct has several cars per hour unload. The owner sorts thru them at his leisure and sends them a check. He is much more discerning the last 2 years.

He did say somewhere that he buys up the stock of other bookstores when they go out of business.

To all, I did a search but only found one additional "Book Barn" it is: "bookbarn.co.uk". They claim 1 million books but I was unable to do a subject search; could be my fault.

Robinson,
I hate to admit it, but Baldwin's is only about an hour and a half away from here and I have never been there. Then again, I really am only interested in reading copies of the books I want. Do they have a selection of moderately priced paperbacks? I'd like to go some day, but don't intend to be a "window shopper".

Book Barn

Funes, gee! I don't remember seeing any quantity of paperbacks. I don't remember any quantity of 'reading copies'. My impression is that they are a cut higher. ---Walter---

Thanks. That's sort of what I thought. I guess that'll save me a trip. I'm afraid that neither my budget nor my shelves will support that kind of habit.

Back