• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book Collecting and the folks who indulge

For The Three Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo, most definately the Modern Library Classics editions. For 20 Years After, The Viscount de Bragelonne, The Black Tulip and La Reine Margot, I read the Oxford World's Classics(David Coward) translations - they're the next best. I haven't read the translations of The Women's War or Georges that came out recently, so I can't judge on those, though.

As devoted as you are to the works of Dumas, you should work on your own translation.

Hell, I'd buy it.

actually, I've recently started working on one. It's a translation of a lesser known work taking place during the French Revolution, titled Ingenue.

Seeing how I'm only 16, though, it might be a while until it's published.

If you have interest, I hope this is not too late but I just saw it. It is an ebay auction for a set of turn of the century Dumas books. Info follows:

1894-1904 WORKS OF ALEXANDRE DUMAS - 23 LEATHER VOLUMES
COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO / LTD EDITION DE MEDICIS / ILLUST Item number: 320255944110

You are signed in Watch this item in My eBay

This item has been added to My eBay for Guests.
As a guest, you can:
Track up to 10 items on this computer in My eBay
Receive an email reminder for this item a few hours before it ends

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End time: 1 hour 21 mins (Jun-09-08 18:00:00 PDT)
Shipping costs: US $19.33
US Postal Service Media MailTM
Service to 94610, United States
(more services)
Calculate
Ships to: Worldwide
Item location: Advance, North Carolina, United States
History: 12 bids
High bidder: i***h( 77)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can also:
Bid with Bid Assistant
Payment methods: PayPal,
Personal check,
Money order/Cashiers check
See details

Meet the seller
Seller: pubattorney( 768)
Member: since May-01-99 in United States
Buy safely
1. Check the seller's reputation
Score: 768 | 100% Positive
See detailed feedback
2. Check how you're protected

Up to $2,000 in buyer protection. See eligibility

Returns: Seller accepts returns.
7 Days Money Back

Description (revised)

Item Specifics - Antiquarian/Collectible Books
Binding: Leather Special Attributes: --
Category: Literature Printing Year: 1894
Sub-Category: Fiction
Classics

1894-1904 WORKS OF ALEXANDRE DUMAS

23 LARGE MOROCCAN LEATHER VOLUMES

Profusely Illustrated Throughout With Colored and B&W Illustrations - Very Nice

Color Photogravures by Some of the Most Well-Known Artists
LIMITED EDITION - EDITION DE MEDICIS

1,000 COPIES - THIS IS NUMBER 300

Works Included:

Volume 1 - The Count of Monte Cristo; or, The Adventures of Edmond Danies - Volume I

Volume 2 - The Count of Monte Cristo; or, The Adventures of Edmond Danies - Volume II

Volume 3 - The Count of Monte Cristo; or, The Adventures of Edmond Danies - Volume III

Volume 4 - The Count of Monte Cristo; or, The Adventures of Edmond Danies - Volume IV

Volume 5 - Olympe De Cleves - A Romance of the Court of Louis the Fifteenth - Volume I

Volume 6 - Olympe De Cleves - A Romance of the Court of Louis the Fifteenth - Volume II

Volume 7 - Vicomte De Bragelonne; or, Ten Years Later - Volume I

Volume 8 - Vicomte De Bragelonne; or, Ten Years Later - Volume II

Volume 9 - Vicomte De Bragelonne; or, Ten Years Later - Volume III

Volume 10 - Vicomte De Bragelonne; or, Ten Years Later - Volume IV

Volume 11 - Vicomte De Bragelonne; or, Ten Years Later - Volume V

Volume 12 - The Two Dianas - Volume I

Volume 13 - The Two Dianas - Volume II

Volume 14 - The Queen's Necklace

Volume 15 - The Chevalier D'Harmental

Volume 16 - Le Chevalier De Maison-Rouge

Volume 17 - Ascanio - Volume I

Volume 18 - Ascanio - Volume II

Volume 19 - Ange Pitou; or, Taking the Bastile - Volume I

Volume 20 - Ange Pitou; or, Taking the Bastile - Volume II

Volume 21 - La Comtesse De Charny - Volume I

Volume 22 - La Comtesse De Charny - Volume II

Volume 23 - La Comtesse De Charny - Volume IV (missing Volume III)

BOSTON: Dana Estes & Company Publishers. Undated, but according to the Library of Congress, these volumes were printed from 1894 - 1904.

Dimensions: approx. 9" x 6 1/2".

Will Require About 3 Feet of Shelf Space. Thick and Heavy Volumes...Please Note Shipping Charges Due to the Weight of this LARGE and HEAVY SET.

ALEXANDRE DUMAS

Alexandre Dumas (July 24, 1802—December 5, 1870) was a French writer, best known for his numerous historical novels of high adventure which have made him one of the most widely read French authors in the world. Many of his novels, including The Count of Monte Cristo, The Three Musketeers, Twenty Years After, and The Vicomte de Bragelonne were serialized. He also wrote plays and magazine articles and was a prolific correspondent. While working in Paris, Dumas began to write articles for magazines as well as plays for the theatre. In 1829 his first solo play, Henry III and his Court, was produced, meeting with great public acclaim. The following year his second play, Christine, proved equally popular, and as a result, he was financially able to work full time at writing. In 1830, he participated in the revolution that ousted King Charles X and replaced him on the throne with Dumas's former employer, the duc d'Orléans, who would rule as Louis-Philippe, the Citizen King. Until the mid-1830s, life in France remained unsettled with sporadic riots and impoverished urban workers seeking change. As life slowly returned to normal, the nation began to industrialize and, with an improving economy combined with the end of press censorship, the times turned out to be very rewarding for the skills of Alexandre Dumas. After writing more successful plays, he turned his efforts to novels. Although attracted to an extravagant lifestyle, and always spending more than he earned, Dumas proved to be a very astute business marketer. With high demand from newspapers for serial novels, in 1838, he simply rewrote one of his plays to create his first serial novel. Titled Le Capitaine Paul, it led to his forming a production studio that turned out hundreds of stories, all subject to his personal input and direction. From 1839 to 1841, Dumas, with the assistance of several friends, compiled Celebrated Crimes, an eight-volume collection of essays on famous criminals and crimes from European history, including essays on Beatrice Cenci, Martin Guerre, Cesare and Lucrezia Borgia and more recent incidents including the cases of executed alleged murderers Karl Ludwig Sand and Antoine François Desrues. Dumas also collaborated with his fencing master Augustin Grisier in his 1840 novel The Fencing Master. The story is written to be Grisier's narrated account of how he came to be witness to events in the Decembrist revolt in Russia. This novel was eventually banned in Russia by Czar Nicholas I of Russia, causing Dumas to be forbidden to visit Russia until the Czar's death. Grisier is also mentioned with great respect in both The Count of Monte Cristo and The Corsican Brothers as well as Dumas's memoirs.

On 1 February 1840, he married an actress, Ida Ferrier, born Marguerite-Joséphine Ferrand (1811—1859) but continued with his numerous liaisons with other women, fathering at least four illegitimate children. One of those children, a son named after him, whose mother was Marie-Laure-Catherine Labay (1794—1868), a dressmaker, would follow in his footsteps, also becoming a successful novelist and playwright. Because of their same name and occupation, to distinguish them, one is referred to as Alexandre Dumas, père, the other as Alexandre Dumas, fils. His three other children were Marie-Alexandrine Dumas (5 March 1831—1878, who later married Pierre Petel and daughter of Belle Krelsamer (1803—1875), Micaëlla-Clélie-Josepha-Élisabeth Cordier, born in 1860 and daughter of Emélie Cordier, and Henry Bauer, born of an unknown mother.

Dumas made extensive use of the aid of numerous assistants and collaborators, of which Auguste Maquet was the best known. It was Maquet who outlined the plot of The Count of Monte Cristo and made substantial contributions to The Three Musketeers and its sequels, as well as several of Dumas's other novels. When working together, Maquet proposed plots and wrote drafts, while Dumas added the details, dialogues, and the final chapters. His writing earned him a great deal of money, but Dumas was frequently broke or in debt as a result of spending lavishly on women and high living. The large and costly Château de Monte-Cristo that he built was often filled with strangers and acquaintances who took advantage of his generosity. When King Louis-Philippe was ousted in a revolt, Dumas was not looked upon favorably by the newly elected President, Charles Louis Napoleon Bonaparte. In 1851 Dumas fled to Brussels, Belgium, to escape his creditors, and from there he traveled to Russia where French was the second language and his writings were enormously popular. Dumas spent two years in Russia before moving on to seek adventure and fodder for more stories. In March of 1861, the kingdom of Italy was proclaimed, with Victor Emmanuel II as its king. For the next three years, Alexandre Dumas would be involved in the fight for a united Italy, founding and leading a newspaper named Indipendente and returning to Paris in 1864.

Alexandre Dumas, père wrote stories and historical chronicles of high adventure that captured the imagination of the French public who eagerly waited to purchase the continuing sagas. A few of these works are:

The Women's War
When Pierrot Was Young by Alexandre Dumas-French 1975
Charles VII at the Homes of His Great Vassals (Charles VII chez ses grands vassaux), drama, adapted for the opera The Saracen by Russian composer César Cui
The Fencing Master (Le maître d'armes, 1840)
The Nutcracker (1844): a revision of Hoffmann's story, later adapted by Tchaikovsky as a ballet
the D'Artagnan Romances:
The Three Musketeers (Les Trois Mousquetaires, 1844)
Twenty Years After (Vingt Ans Après, 1845)
The Vicomte de Bragelonne (Le Vicomte de Bragelonne, ou Dix ans plus tard, 1847): When published in English it was usually split into three parts: The Vicomte de Bragelonne, Louise de la Valliere, and The Man in the Iron Mask, of which the last part is the best known. (A third sequel, The Son of Porthos (1883) (a.k.a. The Death of Aramis) was published under the pen-name of Alexandre Dumas; however, most scholars believe the author to be Paul Mahalin.)
The Count of Monte Cristo (Le Comte de Monte-Cristo, 1845–1846)
The Regent's Daughter (1845)
The Two Dianas (1846)
the Valois romances
Queen Margot (1845)
La Dame de Monsoreau (1846) (a.k.a. Chicot the Jester)
The Forty-Five Guardsmen (1847)
the Marie Antoinette romances:
Le Chevalier de Maison-Rouge (1845) (a.k.a. The Knight of the Red House, or The Knight of Maison-Rouge)
Joseph Balsamo (1846–1848) (a.k.a. Memoirs of a Physician, Cagliostro, Madame Dubarry, The Countess Dubarry, or The Elixir of Life)
The Queen's Necklace (1849–1850)
Ange Pitou (1853) (a.k.a. Storming the Bastille or Six Years Later)
The Countess de Charny (1853–1855) (a.k.a. Andrée de Taverney or The Mesmerist's Victim)
The Black Tulip (La Tulipe Noire, 1850)
The Wolf-Leader (Le Meneur de Loups, 1857)
The Gold Thieves (after 1857): a play that was lost but rediscovered by the Canadian Reginald Hamel researcher in the Bibliothèque nationale de France in 2004
The Companions of Jehu (Les Compagnons de Jehu, 1857)
The Whites and the Blues (Les Blancs et Les Bleus, 1867)
The Knight of Sainte-Hermine (Le Chevalier de Sainte-Hermine, 1869): This nearly completed novel was his last major work and was lost until its rediscovery by Claude Schopp in 1988 and subsequent release in 2005.

Though best known now as a novelist, Dumas earned his first fame as a dramatist. His Henri III et sa cour (1829) was the first of the great Romantic historical dramas produced on the Paris stage, preceding Victor Hugo's more famous Hernani (1830). Produced at the Comédie-Française and starring the famous Mademoiselle Mars, Dumas's play was an enormous success, launching him on his career. It had fifty performances over the next year, extraordinary at the time. Other hits followed. For example, Antony (1831), a drama with a contemporary Byronic hero, is considered the first non-historical Romantic drama. It starred Mars's great rival Marie Dorval. There were also La Tour de Nesle (1832), another historical melodrama; and Kean (1836), based on the life of the great, and recently deceased, English actor Edmund Kean, played in turn by the great French actor Frédérick Lemaître. Dumas wrote many more plays and dramatized several of his own novels.

Buried in the place where he had been born, Alexandre Dumas remained in the cemetery at Villers-Cotterêts until November 30, 2002. Under orders of the French President, Jacques Chirac, his body was exhumed, and in a televised ceremony, his new coffin, draped in a blue-velvet cloth and flanked by four Republican Guards costumed as the Musketeers - Athos, Porthos, Aramis, and D'Artagnan - was transported in a solemn procession to the Panthéon of Paris, the great mausoleum where French luminaries are interred. In his speech, President Chirac said: "With you, we were D'Artagnan, Monte Cristo, or Balsamo, riding along the roads of France, touring battlefields, visiting palaces and castles—with you, we dream. " In an interview following the ceremony, President Chirac acknowledged the racism that had existed, saying that a wrong had now been righted with Alexandre Dumas enshrined alongside fellow authors Victor Hugo and Voltaire. The honor recognized that although France has produced many great writers, none have been as widely read as Alexandre Dumas. His stories have been translated into almost a hundred languages, and have inspired more than 200 motion pictures.

CONDITION: 23 Large, Thick and Heavy Moroccan Leather Volumes. This set of Dumas' Works is comprised of 23 volumes Bound in a Fine Maroon Moroccan Leather Binding Over Maroon Boards (See Photos). Missing one volume of La Comtese de Charney. An Attractive Collection of Books. Spines have Elaborate Gold Gilted Design with 5 Raised Bands that separate into six separate compartments, each with elaborate Gold Gilted design and/or Gold Gilted Titling (See Photos). Some rubbing on Board Corners and in Places on Spines. Spine Caps have chipping on top ends with some leather loss in places. Bottom spine ends remain in very nice condition overall (See Photos). Volume II of Vicomte De Bragelonne has bottom right corner of spine leather torn (See Photos). ave Joints/Boards are Securely bound and are in very nice condition and should last for decades with a couple of exceptions (See Photos). Most notable exceptions are again Volume II of Vicomte De Bragelonne and Volume I of Two Dianas, which both have one board loosening at joint with separation...although boards are still attached barely. Internal pages are clean, crisp, and clear, and with no noticeable foxing - Indicative of the FINE, HIGH QUALITY PAPER on which these volumes are printed (See Photos). Volumes are Profusely Illustrated Throughout with both Color and Black & White Illustrations -- Tissue Protection on Frontisportraits, Photogravures, etc...Just Very Nice (See Photos). Printed incerpts on Tissue Protection identifies artist and explanation of drawings. Edition De Medicis, which is Limited to 1,000 Copies, Of Which this is #300 Imprinted (See Photos). Top Page Ends are Gold Gilted while other two ends are in a rough cut -- my personal favorite cut. Printed on a fine, high quality paper. A Very Attractive and Nice set of books. Rare Set In Desireable Binding That Should Appreciate Greatly In Value Over Time.

Questions from other members

Question & Answer Answered On
Q: Hi, could you give me a rough estimate of the cost of shipping to Thailand? Thanks. Ed Jun-08-08
A: Ed...The least expensive shipping method that I can find is the USPS Flat Rate Large Box rate. I think these volumes will require 4 of the USPS Larger...more
Q: Hello, How incomplete is this set? How many volumes are there supposed to be? Jun-02-08
A: I am not sure how many volumes would have made up the entire set. There is nothing in the volumes that indicates the total number of volumes or the entire...more
Ask seller a question

Shipping and handlingShips to
Worldwide

Country: Show all available Afghanistan Albania Algeria American Samoa Andorra Angola Anguilla Antigua and Barbuda Argentina Armenia Aruba Australia Austria Azerbaijan Republic Bahamas Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belarus Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bhutan Bolivia Bosnia and Herzegovina Botswana Brazil British Virgin Islands Brunei Darussalam Bulgaria Burkina Faso Burundi Cambodia Cameroon Canada Cape Verde Islands Cayman Islands Central African Republic Chad Chile China Colombia Comoros Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Republic of the Cook Islands Costa Rica Croatia, Republic of Cuba, Republic of Cyprus Czech Republic Denmark Djibouti Dominica Dominican Republic Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Estonia Ethiopia Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas) Fiji Finland France French Guiana French Polynesia Gabon Republic Gambia Georgia Germany Ghana Gibraltar Greece Greenland Grenada Guadeloupe Guam Guatemala Guinea Guinea-Bissau Guyana Haiti Honduras Hong Kong Hungary Iceland India Indonesia Iran Iraq Ireland Israel Italy Jamaica Japan Jordan Kazakhstan Kenya Kiribati Korea, North Korea, South Kuwait Kyrgyzstan Laos Latvia Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Libya Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg Macau Macedonia Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Malta Marshall Islands Martinique Mauritania Mauritius Mayotte Mexico Micronesia Moldova Monaco Mongolia Montserrat Morocco Mozambique Namibia Nauru Nepal Netherlands Netherlands Antilles New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Niger Nigeria Niue Norway Oman Pakistan Palau Panama Papua New Guinea Paraguay Peru Philippines Poland Portugal Puerto Rico Qatar Reunion Romania Russian Federation Rwanda Saint Helena Saint Kitts-Nevis Saint Lucia Saint Pierre and Miquelon Saint Vincent and the Grenadines San Marino Saudi Arabia Senegal Seychelles Sierra Leone Singapore Slovakia Slovenia Solomon Islands Somalia South Africa Spain Sri Lanka Sudan Suriname Swaziland Sweden Switzerland Syria Taiwan Tajikistan Tanzania Thailand Togo Tonga Trinidad and Tobago Tunisia Turkey Turkmenistan Turks and Caicos Islands Tuvalu Uganda Ukraine United Arab Emirates United Kingdom United States Uruguay Uzbekistan Vanuatu Vatican City State Venezuela Vietnam Virgin Islands (U.S.) Wallis and Futuna Western Sahara Western Samoa Yemen Zambia Zimbabwe Zip or postal code:

Shipping and Handling To Service Insurance
US $19.33 94610, United States US Postal Service Media MailTM
Estimated delivery 2-9 days* Included in S&H
US $62.85 94610, United States US Postal Service Priority Mail®
Estimated delivery 2-3 days* Included in S&H
US $51.68 94610, United States UPS Ground
1 to 6 business days* Included in S&H

Shipping and Handling To Service Insurance
Calculate United States US Postal Service Media MailTM
Estimated delivery 2-9 days* Included in S&H
Calculate United States US Postal Service Priority Mail®
Estimated delivery 2-3 days* Included in S&H
Calculate United States UPS Ground
1 to 6 business days* Included in S&H
Calculate Worldwide USPS Priority Mail InternationalTM
6 to 10 business days* Included in S&H
Calculate Worldwide UPS Worldwide ExpressSM
1 to 2 business days* Included in S&H

*Sellers are not responsible for service transit time. This information is provided by the carrier and excludes weekends and holidays. Note that transit times may vary, particularly during peak periods.

Return policyItem must be returned within: 7 Days

Refund will be given as: Money Back

I do not know if this is of interest to you but I thought of you when I saw it. Regards, Debra

I started this topic years ago and see it is fading with time. I am still an avid reader and book collector. in 2008 I complained about lack of space for my books - well, we bought an apartment building in Oakland, CA. Our apartment is the entire 2nd floor (over 1700 sq feet). We did complete renovations including adding 40 feet of floor to ceiling book cases. All my books are out of storage. As I continue to collect, I am again running out of space. More bookcases are in order... Please continue to post on this topic. I am still interested in your favorite collecting story - what you collect and why, what book do you dream of owning or the books of what author or what topic.

My housemate is a bit of a carpenter. Whenever she's looking around for a project, she'll ask me, "You need another bookcase?" The answer is always yes.

I've been after hubby for another bookcase for the last 6 months. He's not the handy-man he used to be when I first married him. Oh -well guess I'll have to do it myself, what else is new.:)

I've been after hubby for another bookcase for the last 6 months. He's not the handy-man he used to be when I first married him. Oh -well guess I'll have to do it myself, what else is new.:)
Consignment stores. We've bought /clearing throat/ many bookcases at a local consignment store. Reasonable. Good condition. At the moment we have 50-odd bookcases....

I have one book shelf, not that big, my books are piled on top and beside it. Will try a consignment store, thanks :)

Back