• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book destinations

I'm going to steal a thread idea from another book forum I recently visited. I'm wondering what "book destinations" folks have visited--pilgrimages to the homes/graves of favorite authors? To the scenes of favorite novels? A couple of years ago, I visited the village founded in the 1840s by author Caroline Kirkland. She and her husband founded a village on the U.S. frontier--Pinckney, Michigan. Kirkland wrote a very amusing, satiric book, a fictionalized account of her experience as a cultured easterner on the frontier (A New Home, Who'll Follow? ). What a hoot--Pinckney is still a sleepy little village, though perhaps not for long, as the surrounding area becomes developed. What have been your favorite literary destinations?

I've been to Poe's grave and all of the Shakespear properties (remember, I'm an American we don't go to those on school field trips). As a kid, my little brother went and knocked on Avi's door, who proceded to invite him and my mom in to see his writing studio. That's about all I can think of.

Back