• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book on conflict in Ireland

igbomb

Since this place has much more of a European flavor to it than the other forums I frequent, I thought it would be a good place for my question.

What are the best books available that objectively explain the entire Protestant/Catholic, etc. conflict in Ireland? I would really like to read one that has a non-partisan take on the issue so I can understand the entire situation better than I do, which would be not at all.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

I suggest Making Sense of the Troubles by David McKittrick and David McVea. I haven't read it (coming from Belfast, I have long since given up any pretence at making sense of the Troubles) but it comes highly recommended and David McKittrick, the respected NI correspondent for the UK's Independent newspaper, is a good source. The reviews in the link I have posted also make further reading recommendations

Leon Uris's novel Trinity is a fine, well-written story about several generations through the Troubles. I can't say it's entirely nonpartisan, but it's a cracking read.

the troubles. there are so many- most books can give you a good viewpoint.

but i doubt you'll ever inderstand. its pointless violance. im glad i didn't grow up in it, or in th era. thank god for political means thats now in place.

"tit for tat"-

might i suggest you read "Wreaths" by michael longley, its a poem, on the troubles.

Back