• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book recommendations for a preteen?

I would recommend "The Obsidian Pebble" by RA Jones. My kids really enjoyed it! It's fun, spooky and mysterious, so it's perfect for kids who are into fantasy or mystery books.

Recs

- Harry Potter Series
- Across Five Aprils + Red Badge of Courage (both civil war books)
- A Wrinkle in Time Series (Time Travel)
- Anything by Mark Twain

Leonardo Noto

I definitely recommend the Chronicles of Narnia series. I don't remember how old I was when I read it - maybe nine? It'll keep ya busy for a while and it's one of the coolest stories ever told.

astatic.ddmcdn.com_gif_narnia_2.jpg

I'd recommend The floods, by Colin Thompson. It's very Adam's Family ish and funny.

My daughter loves it, though she say's it's a bit gross!

She did a quick review of it here...

Dark Summer by Lizzy Ford. The book is easy enough to read for a preteen and the plot will be interesting enough for her as well. There is love, friendship, and magic so I am pretty sure this will be interesting for her to read. Try checking out the author's website to know more about the book.

I dunno if I mentioned this or not, but the Ranger's Apprentice series was pretty good. I didn't like the reading so much as listening to them, but the stories were great.

The Snickitysnatcher by Ciro Correia, a great fantasy book. I teach 10-12 year olds and they love fantasy too, i think it is only available digitally through amazon though.

My son has turned into an avid reader and I'm having a hard time keeping up with him! He's read everything in the house that he's found interesting and just finished the last book I bought him in a week

So, I was curious if any of you could recommend books that would interest him. I want something clean because he's 10. The problem we're running into is that his reading level is higher than books targeted for him, but I don't want him to read some of the YA fiction that's out because I don't think he's that mature yet.

Books that he has loved and sucked up in a few days are

Leven Thumps
Fabelhaven
Freddy series (I, Freddy, The Haunting of Freddy...)
Judy Blume
Flush

Right now he is reading the first Maximum Ride book and he's loving it.

Books that he started but didn't finish-
Watership Down...it was more that I bought another book that he was more interested in
Princess Bride
The Golden Compass (he said it was boring)
He claims that he's not interested in Brian Jacques, but he hasn't given them a try yet

So, now that you have a little background, I'd appreciate suggestions :)

Does he like poetry? I have a version of Cinderella that might keep him busy for an hour or two. Go to Amazon and search, "McElroy Cinderella".

Vivian Vande Velde has some odd type books that are relatively kid safe.
I liked The Cry of the Icemark by Stuart Hill. The first is better than the rest of the series.

I agree with your son about The Golden Compass...thing just droned on and on.

I grew up loving star wars books, both the adult and kids books. The Jedi Apprentice series is a bit older, but very easy to read and a lot of fun. Young Jedi Knight series might be a little dated at this point, but they were good too.

I write YA, kid safe stuff, but you'd have to PM if you want more details so I don't clog up the place.

The Chronicles of Narnia are charming tales...though you sort of have to get used to the style.

Quirky stuff like Pride, Prejudice and Zombies is sort of fun, though way more fun to listen to than read.

Classic, but not too classic Hardy Boys is usually pretty intriguing. I'd say go with the Case Files series.

Ranger's Apprentice is also a good series, but I preferred the audio CDs to the books b/c of the spelling changes. The author is Australian I think.

Back