• Welcome to BookAndReader!

We LOVE books and hope you'll join us in sharing your favorites and experiences along with your love of reading with our community. Registering for our site is free and easy, just CLICK HERE!

Already a member and forgot your password? Click here.

Book Review: Free To Choose by Milton Friedman ...

speedmaster

Milton Friedman's Free To Choose is another book I regret waiting so long to read. As I read it I felt that same way Mr. Jeffrey Tucker did when reading Against Intellectual Monopoly, "I've felt that sense of intellectual stimulation that comes along rarely in life — that sense that makes you want to grab anyone off the street and tell that person what this book says."

Free To Choose is in many ways an intellectual follow-up to the wonderful Capitalism and Freedom, and a wrap-up to the eponymous (and brilliant) TV serious of the late 1970s. Friedman himself describes the more recent Free To Choose as less abstract and more concrete than Capitalism and Freedom. Less theory, more practicality. While not necessary I would recommend reading them in the proper order. As an aside, can you believe that the TV series was originally broadcast on PBS?!?

Free To Choose by Milton Friedman & Rose Friedman: a little over 300 pages, originally published in 1980, reprinted in 1990. This is a classic book that should be in every family's library, imho. It's not a technical book and contain only a couple charts, easily understandable by nearly anyone, except maybe Naomi Klein. ;-) $15 in paperback.

Dr. Friedman's ideas may seem quaint, idealist, or even radical to some. However, his ideas are sensible, sound, and at least as relevant now as in decades prior. I can think of no bigger 20th century proponent of liberty and prosperity for all than the wonderful Dr. Milton Friedman. We are lucky to have lived during his time. I think that to be against Milton Friedman's ideals one must either be hostile to the ideals liberty and prosperity or (much) more likely, ignorant of them.

The chapters are titled:
Chapter 01 - The Power of the Market
Chapter 02 - The Tyranny of Controls
Chapter 03 - Anatomy of Crisis
Chapter 04 - Cradle to Grave
Chapter 05 - Created Equal
Chapter 06 - What's Wrong with Our Schools?
Chapter 07 - Who Protects the Consumer?
Chapter 08 - Who Protects the Worker
Chapter 09 - The Cure for Inflation
Chapter 10 - The Tide is Turning

Quote that starts the book:
"Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the government's purposes are beneficial. Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by evil-minded rulers. The greater dangers to liberty lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."
-- Justice Louis Brandeis, Olmstead v. United States, 277 U.S. 479 (1928)

Full review here:
Amateur Economist: Book Review: Free To Choose by Milton Friedman

I think that to be against Milton Friedman's ideals one must either be hostile to the ideals liberty and prosperity or (much) more likely, ignorant of them.

Wow, your reasoning is as fallacious as Friedman's. The logical fallacy you commit above is called a false dichotomy.

Though some of Friedman's big ideas/conclusions are appealing on the surface (at least to me), his rational support for them is extremely weak. I taught Business Ethics six times, and always began the semester by critically evaluating the reasoning in his classic article The Social Responsibility of Business is to Increase its Profits.

Back